Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Storytelling Friends

With storyteller Donna Wilson for today's Stories at the River's edge performances.


Often it seems like months go by that I do not see a single storyteller friend. This summer has been like that--without the capability to talk online with other storytellers, I would not have had contact with any of them.


So it was a fine surprise to be paged last Wednesday evening because a "man" had stopped by the library to see me. (I shouldn't have been there, but I stayed to finish up a few things.)


Turned out to be liar extraordinaire Rich Knoblich, who was in town for a conference. We had an hour or so to catch up over a glass of wine, and the time passed far too quickly. Rich placed second in the state's liar's contest this year--he's almost always in the top three. He told me that he has a book if his stories in the process of publication. I'll add a link here as soon as the book is available. It's certain to be a good read if his storytelling is any indication.


Tuesday evening storyteller Ilene Evans came to spend a couple of nights with us while she does performances and workshops in Charleston. We've had wonderful conversations, shared some ballads and caught up on the news in each other's lives.



Then I spent today with Donna Wilson of Middleport, OH, for the second day of our series Stories at the Rivers Edge. Today was my day to perform at Middleport and at Mason, WV. It was a wonderful day--good, diverse audiences, reasonable weather, and good company. It can't get much better, can it? And to top it off granddaughter Hannah was with me today.


This evening Ilene and I sat out on the deck and enjoyed the evening as we talked and talked about stories, storytelling, and ballads. She knew many Irish versions of the same songs I know, and the differences and similarities will always intrigue me.
A full day of stories and storytellers. Now that is living.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...