Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2007

What Can Happen in an Evening

Writers Group: after a day of figuring out what's up (or not) with the elevator, how to get delivery to 9 branches when the delivery van is in the shop for a new windshield, when we're required to pay prevailing wage on projects, what asbestos abatement means, why a librarian wants to cancel a subscription to Time, and how to get a brick walk repaired so it doesn't block a fire exit, it's a relief to go to writing group.

A stop at the coffee shop for a fresh brew (okay, they said it was 45 minutes old when I got there so I wheedled a fresh pot--45 minute old coffee can cause premature aging!) and I was still close to on time. I was determined to bring something new to the group this week since I'd missed so many meetings, so last night I wrote a new short story. It was different, I'll say that, and the ending had a strong impact. A little work and it'll be a good story. Seeing everyone again really made my day.

Drive: The sky was ominous--black clouds piling high, big gusts of wind, premature dark. I darted for home, only a quick stop to relieve the "Empty" light on my gas gauge (my little Nissan Sentra is so used to running on empty I think it just keeps going out of habit). I raced the storm, literally. It started to pour at the gas station, but a few miles out and it was a light drizzle, then only wind. I made it to the house just as the first fat drops caught up with me.

That might not sound like a big deal. But I had 6 miles to travel on a small 2-lane highway, 2 more on a one-lane, bumpy country road, then 2 more on a dirt-and-gravel road full of twists, hills and bumps, then 1/4 mile on the driveway. So I was doing some speed on bad roads to outrun the storm.

Storm: I raced raindrops to the porch, ran into the house and unplugged phone and computer. My mind relieved, I went back to the porch with a glass of Chardonnay to sit in my rocker and watch the storm with Larry. It was stupendous, great flashes of lightning and big booms, a tree cracking in the woods behind the house, rain blowing almost horizontal as the lightning show continued.

Storytelling: when the storm passed, we hooked the phone and 'puter back up, and I returned a call to my storytelling friend Donna Wilson. She was working on the final report for our grant for the series Stories at the River's Edge. Because of her efforts, the series was very successful. She is quite a woman, an organizer with a creative streak that reveals itself in storytelling. We talked about stories, how they connect us with people, what they mean. We plan to do the series again next year. With Donna involved, I know it'll be a success again.

Writing: After such an evening, here I am at the computer, trying to capture the best of a very good evening. My full-time job is demanding, but knowing I can come home to good friends, a lonesome ridge, and a loving man makes it all worthwhile.

If only it would flood, or trees fall and block the road so I can stay home tomorrow! But a woman can't have everything, and I'm happy to take what I got tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...