Pages

Monday, May 28, 2018

Fair Finds

One of the best parts of being part of Ripley on Sale is getting to shop, of course! This is not a huge event so getting around all the vendors is pretty easy. The downside of being a vendor is that I miss all the other sales going on around town, but we can't have it all, can we?

So here's some of what came home with me:

This sweet trunk is in pretty good condition for its age. I will do little to this one, love the way it looks as it is.

I especially like the picture inside. How cool is that? Has its tray too, and 3 of the 4 wheels on the bottom. Both leather handles are gone fairly common with these old guys. I am not sure if we will attempt replacing them; that can be pretty tricky with such old metal and wood.




These about stopped my heart--three large Blenko decanters with stoppers, in perfect condition. The glass swans bottom left aren't old, but are pretty.


I guess the large pot on top of the tray was one of those planters that held a fake tree since it has no drain holes. I am thinking I will paint it black, then white and distress it. It is brass, but has been spraypainted gold.

I will repaint the bed tray too. It was handpainted with large magnolia flowers but the varnish has yellowed and the painting isn't that pretty. Otherwise it's in really great shape.


I fell in love with this box that my friend Sue had in her booth. It's well built, with nice hardware and such great paint. I'd like to keep it if I can find a place for it in this (crowded) house.




Can you make out the large shelf leaning against the green cabinet? This thing is about 8 feet long. I think it might get painted too if I have time. The bed is a work-in-progress; I'll post photos when it's done.



Crazy Daisy pitcher and a brass record rack. Can you say mid-century?


I will be keeping this one! All the measures we need to know, cross-stitched with love by someone.
It's a little stained but I don't care. I like it just as it is.



An Early American Pattern Glass low compote or bowl in a pattern I need to look up, and a pretty yellow-checked lampshade. I'll be needing a replacement for the one in my kitchen soon, so here it is!


Another graniteware bowl to hang in the bathroom,


and one of my best finds: an unsolved Cryptoquip in a piece of newspaper used to wrap the Pyrex pitcher! I love these things and am always on the lookout for them. We can't get paper delivery here or I'd subscribe just to get these puzzles. I'm not a big crossword fan, and hate Sudoku, but word scrambles and cryptograms, oh yeah!


There were a few other things, but these were my favorites.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

6 comments:

  1. Great combo - sell things and find great buys. The blue box with the great wear was my favorite of your finds and the cross-stitch framed measures will settle in as if you always had it.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love several of these items! I have an old trunk that I love and I would absolutely keep that bluish box/trunk type item. A keeper for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your treasures, especially that Blenko decanter with the round stopper - pretty!
    I also have a stained cross-stitch that I think I paid 50 cents for years ago - poultry-themed, and it says "Welcome." I keep it by the back door :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have found lots of treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that trunk!! Reminds me of the one we had as kids--I think it came from our great-aunts Ella and Anna and had those wonderful dress-up gowns in it. Lots of fond memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such fun treasures.

    I'm slowly coming to the point that I'm going to have to sell my trunk. It's much bigger than what you found. It's an old steamer trunk that my mother said crossed the ocean with our family. It's too heavy for me to even open by myself now! So I hope to clean it out & sell it sometime soon.
    I've had to let go of so many things but my life has been less stressful as a result.

    It's not the same I know, but if you have a smartphone you can add cryptograms for free through Amazon. I think you can do them on a desktop as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...