Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Preparations

Low 40s both mornings this weekend, both days cloudy with rain and showers coming and going. There were even snow flurries and sleet yesterday. Keeping the trees from blooming, which pleases me.


My presentation Saturday went very well, and I was actually surprised that a dozen of so people came out for it. Truthfully, I expected it to be my storytelling partner, her husband and Larry! Everyone sat at a good distance from each other, and no one shook hands. I admit, I did hug my beautiful granddaughter Michaela who surprised me by coming with her other grandma. That was nice. We had lunch with good friends we see too seldom, so all in all it was a very good--but careful--day.

Like so many, we're preparing to hunker down. We realize we're fortunate to have a well-stocked cellar, freezer and pantry. We have plenty of wipes, supplies to make hand sanitizer, and even have some masks, but there are things I didn't think about.

Like dog, cat and chicken feed. So tomorrow we need to get those things.

Meds in case we get sick with this virus. A nurse shared a list of things we might need. We had some (acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, humidifiers). We picked up some DayQuil/NyQuil and some vitamin C. These supplies should help get through the virus, assuming we don't get it too badly, or it morphs into pneumonia or something.

I'm thinking about ordering tomato, pepper and cabbage seeds to start my own plants this year. We usually buy plants but that might not be doable this year. I have some potting soil, but might need more.

I'm sure we're going to need other things as the days stretch to weeks but for now this is as far as we've gotten.

We certainly don't need to worry about how to stay occupied. Like many of you, my blog friends, we have projects upon projects to work on, and hundreds of books, movies and music CDs on the shelves. We have gardens to care for and plant, pets to love and entertain us. We have miles of forest around us, uninhabited except for the wild things. We have radio and internet (but no TV).

We will not be wandering around trying to find something to do, or feeling sorry for ourselves. And my bet is that you will not be doing that either. But I wonder, what's the one thing you will be doing that you seldom have time for?


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

3 comments:

  1. Always something to do at my farm too. School is out here until April 13th. Teachers, like myself, are completing cyber learning lessons with students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so impressed by the teachers and how quickly they responded to the closings, Michelle. Kudos to all of you!

      Delete
  2. Our schools are closed now, too. Surprised it took so long, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...