Pages

Monday, April 6, 2020

Covid Journal Day 23: Porch Views

A cold 50 degrees this morning, light overcast and a promise of rain in the air. Every now and then the sun peeps through, though.


We're spending a lot of time on the porch these days, as the weather gets warmer and the world continues to slow down. My youngest son said last night on the phone that maybe we needed this time to just stop, slow down and take stock of where we are. Sort out our closets and our lives. Not, as he said first, that we want people to die so we can do this. No one wants that. Everyone is afraid right now. But in the midst of fear and sorrow, we are also re-discovering what's important. Many people are getting badly needed rest, sleeping more than they've slept in years. Some small bright spots in what is otherwise a bleak time.

Our lives have nor had the seismic shift that others have had, but even so we have slowed down some and are on the porch as often as the weather allows. It's a well-used space. Right now we have the dehydrator out there, drying some ramps for storage, and I am re-potting my seedlings on the deck. Stuff comes in and out here as we move from project to project. It's always a job to keep it cleaned up--and of course if we let the pets up and it's the least bit wet out, then the floor is tracked up. Which it probably is anyway as Larry's boots are often muddy. The latest muddy project is coming along, and might be finished today:


Still, with all the coming and going, it's a pleasant place to sit and look out at the world.




The crabapple tree is a pretty sight these days. This tree was one of the first I planted when we moved here, some 45 years ago.


At the foot of the porch steps, this pretty patch of violets greets the eye.



 And along the walk, a few tulips are braving the chill and coming into bloom.


It will soon be time to listen for the whippoorwill. I confess my ears were straining for their song last evening as we sat by the firepit, but it's really too early. Hummingbirds will return soon too, so I have the feeders cleaned up and ready, and hope we will be able to get hold of enough sugar to keep them filled. Birdseed should arrive today for the songbirds--I would hate to miss the migrators, and they will soon be coming through.

Nature continues to follow its cycles, unaware of the turmoil we humans are facing. There's comfort in that--at least we have some idea of what to expect from the natural world. So I will be spending more time on the porch and in the woods, just listening and looking. The best antidote I know to the virus at the moment.


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

6 comments:

  1. So pretty! And just what we need now. Spring is such a hopeful season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful flowers. Your seasons are way ahead of us right now here in Northern Indiana, in fact, I just searched our place and found just a few ramps large enough to harvest and cook up with the dandelion greens I gathered. Delicious spring bounty. This is only my third spring learning to use ramps and I'm sure there are lots more ways to use these wonderful things. So far I just cook them up as a sauce for pasta, add them to greens, and make them into a pesto and freeze for later. Could you please share your tips for them? And how do you use the ones you dehydrate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karren, here the favorite uses are to add to fried potatoes, and to scrambled eggs. Some people parboil them and eat them whole like that-I say ewwww! I add them to meatloaf, soups, stews, etc. I really like them dried best, myself. The dehydrated ones can go into almost any recipe that you would add onions or garlic to. I'm going to try making ramp salt with the dried ones too--I *think* I can mix them with salt and leave the mix for a month or so, then sift the salt out and I should have ramp-flavored salt. Not sure it will work, but I'm going to give it a try. Oh, and once at a very fancy restaurant they served "trout with ramp". Just trout with one ramp draped over it, apparently sauteed first. Both fish and ramp were good.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that information. Love the idea of ramp salt.

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, Nature continues as usual, with no heed to the turmoil in the human world. And what a comfort this is.

    Your son is wise, beyond his years. All certainly *should* do a lot of inner thinking, and questioning, and hopefully, find some wise answers, about their life.

    Yes, it's sad that it takes death and the threat of it, to make for slowing down. But slowing down is on us. So let's hope people spend more time, in contemplation and less in fear and getting grumpy.

    Gentle hugs,
    🌸🌱🌸

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am home but I'm not getting to sleep in anymore. My days start between 4:30 & 6 AM depending on my family's schedule. I'm watching my 2 yr old grandson during the day while everyone else has to go to work. But I will never complain about spending more time with our toddler.

    Most days are spent outside in my garden, in the woods or down at the lake. Thankfully we're very rural & have plenty of land to run around on.

    We've been spending a lot of time on the back porch too. It's the best place to be in such nice weather.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...