Pages

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Covid Journal, Day 25: The Loss of a Legend

55 this morning, dark and humid after a night of tremendous thunderstorms. We had the whole show: lightning, thunder, hail, pouring rain and high winds. I understand some areas were under a tornado watch and I am not surprised. More storms in the forecast for today and tomorrow. April showers indeed!

I am sad today. One of my longtime favorite songwriters and singers John Prine died yesterday from this terrible virus. I knew he had it and was in the hospital but last reports seemed to indicate he was improving. So it was a shock to learn he had passed on. I think even the heavens were weeping. I am so glad I got to hear him in performance once, and only wish I'd made the effort to go again in the past year when he was performing not so far from here. But I have a husband who isn't a fan of concerts usually, and neither am I most of the time--I especially don't like to go by myself, so I just didn't go. Huge regrets now.

Here are links to some of my favorite songs by John Prine. May his soul have a peaceful journey into the light.

This is the first John Prine song I ever heard, and it wasn't sung by him. We stumbled into a bluegrass outside concert in Buena Vista, Virginia, in 1972, and the guy on stage had to sing this three times because the crowd keep calling for it. Spanish Pipedream:


This one touches my heart, and has since the first time I heard it, when I was a lot younger than I am now. I think it has even more resonance for me now. Hello In There:


I've been to Paradise, in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky. This song captures the desolation of that stripped mined area. Paradise:



One more among so many favorites, Dear Abby:


And this. Let's hope he's sittin' on a rainbow right now.



Rest in Peace, John. Your voice will be sorely missed.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. I heard that song by John and Iris today on the radio. Though I don't live in Muhlenberg County, the Green River runs right by me. I have floated it in a flat bottom boat many a time. Truly a paradise. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will admit I had never heard of him until I heard the news that he had died. Listening to the story of his life I am amazed I had never come across him, his music is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of my favourites there too, Sue. I remember cycling to Cambridge to buy his first album from Andy's Records on Cambridge market having heard Spanish Pipedream played once on the radio. His songs will live on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (So sorry....)

    Not on computer as much,
    due to *achy* back.
    But reading some posts,
    And hate to read,
    Without even a tiny comment.
    -smile-
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Stay safe
    Stay home
    πŸŒΈπŸ’›πŸŒ·πŸ’›πŸŒΈ

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...