Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2021

Catching Up and Celebrating

Another hot day, following 2 hot days. High of 90 expected today, but at least we had 3 days of 70's last week. Rain Friday night and Saturday A.M. but need more.


So, where to start? Last week, the weather cleared and we had some gorgeous days. Perfect for garden work and that's what we did for two of them anyway. Weeding, hoeing, mulching, and planting. Fertilizing, staking, tying. Then mowing, string-trimming and weed-eating.  I finally got the walled garden cleaned up and ready to plant, but that's as far as that got. We had a storm or two, then were away for two days. Yesterday was wet, and too hot later in the day to do anything. 

I think I'm getting old. I cannot tolerate the heat and humidity at all. I also don't like being out in the woods at this time of year because bugs love me and the only alternative to being bitten is to wear some kind of deterrent which may or may not work. So yes, I think I'm getting old. I just can't tolerate things that used to bother me not at all. 

We did have a couple fun days last week--a trip to Ohio to pick up a cabinet, an old tricycle, and other things. We went to the Chillicothe area, where we've really not traveled much. It was interesting to see several Indian mounds there, and unlike what you might think about Ohio, the countryside was mostly rolling, very pretty. Most people think of the state as being flat, but the eastern side is much like western West Virginia and northern Kentucky. 

We met some nice people too. One lady, who used to be a professor at Marshall University in Huntington, WV, knew a couple of people that I knew. Small world, isn't it. Another lady said she was 48 but looked about 35. She had 10 children, 8 boys and 2 girls. She was a small slip of a thing, but full of vitality. I wondered if they were of a fundamentalist religion or the like because she wore a long denim skirt and had a scarf over her hair, but who knows, maybe she just prefers to dress like that. Nice as can be, and so interesting to talk with. 

On the way home we passed a home where the yard was full of vintage, antique and restored cars--apparently this homeowner had his many friends to visit and they were having a car show at his house. And just down the road a bit, a huge, fluorescent Tyrannosaurus Rex stood in an open garage door. What people get up to--it's endlessly surprising and fascinating.

Friday we spent the day at the WV Folk Festival in Glenville, WV. Normally I perform there, and was originally scheduled to do so, but since I've pretty much retired from performing, I was audience instead. 


It was such a pleasure to see--and hug--so many people we haven't seen for 2 years. I was especially pleased to see this friend from Columbus, who is now 88 years old, and who drove himself to the festival. 


There were quite a few crafters at the festival. I was taken by this rug weaver. The process looked so simple but I bet it's harder than it looks. 



Then there was a lady with etched glass. Oh. My.


Yes, I brought a piece home, just a tiny bud vase, but I was tempted to buy more. 




My longtime friend Suzy told stories for the first time at the festival, and so enjoyed it. I was thrilled to hear her, and to see how well she is coming along as a storyteller. We missed the music, however--Larry got tired, probably from the road trip to Ohio the day before, so we went home instead of staying for the evening events. Disappointing, but I hope to get my fill of live music this next weekend when I go up to Allegheny Echoes. 

Yesterday was catch-up day. Landry, cleaning, painting, etc. occupied my day, while Larry worked on a cabinet we'd brought home from Ohio and did some yard work. 




And today? We're taking it slow today. It's hot and muggy, and it's Father's Day. And tomorrow is my birthday but we plan a booth work day so I'm celebrating today. Larry made a cake and I gave him an handmade wallet I bought at Glenville. Lord knows he needs it, his is falling apart. I've got a big pan of lasagna in the freezer, salad and garlic bread for dinner, so no worries about cooking on "our" day. Definitely, a day off.


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. That was some busy days you had. The hot and muggy weather would definitely do me in and then add the bugs, it doesn't sound good. Hope you have a wonderful birthday celebration today. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy, Happy Birthday, Sue! And Happy Father's day to Larry. I hope you have a slower week ahead of you! Too hot to do much more than breathe right now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...