Pages

Monday, July 19, 2021

Water, Dryers, Covered Bridges and Friends

67 this morning and light overcast. Stayed hazy and humid all day, repeat of yesterday. High of about 85.

It's been a busy few days.


Staats Mill Covered Bridge, Cedar Lakes, Ripley, WV

Saturday I went with Leah, the owner of Riverbend Antique mall where I have several booths, to hunt up some furniture and other things to sell. We had a great time, ran through several strong rainstorms, and came home with her box truck loaded. It's still full; that will be tomorrow's work, unloading and sorting it all out.

Larry stayed home to work on a water line leak. After a frustrating day, he gave up. So Sunday morning we just went out to breakfast. The other frustrating thing was our dryer quit working, so we had to find another ASAP. I hunted one up that was over in Ohio, so after Sunday breakfast we went to pick it up. He came home to work on the water and thankfully got it fixed. This morning we swapped out the dryers, me still in my nightgown as we lugged them in and out. Ah me.

As soon as we were done I got ready for a lunch date with my friend Suzy who had a knee replacement 3 weeks ago, and Nancy, the friend visiting from Arizona. Surprisingly, they discovered that they shared the same September birthday. What are the odds of that?

After lunch we decided to take Nancy to see the two covered bridges in our county. At the first one, which was relocated to a local park from its original location, band camp was in full swing. The bass drums and cymbals were practicing near the bridge, so we had a pretty cool cadence to walk to while we were exploring the bridge.


At the second bridge, on a small country road, we were taking our time looking at the bridge but apparently we disturbed a local resident--a skunk. He made his displeasure known to our noses, so we took our pictures and left his territory.


Sarvis Fork Covered Bridge, Sandyville, WV


It was a fun day, even though it was hot. I've been to both bridges many times--one of them was on a mail route I used to run back in the early 80's and was my lunch stop most days that I subbed on that route. But seeing them with friends is like seeing them with new eyes. Now I'm home and tired, and it's time to catch up on some house work so I'll sign off here and get to it.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time. Hot and very humid here today. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...