Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2021

Bye Bye Ducky, and Hello Tomatoes...Again

70 and very muggy, rain most of the day, heavy at times. Warmed to about 75.


I am so enjoying this rainy weather although the grass is growing like crazy. The water table is certainly being replenished thanks to Tropical Storm Fred. I'm wondering where Grace will go? Hopefully she will benefit some other water-starved area.


I mentioned a while back that a neighbor gave us two chicks and a duckling, didn't I? Now, our place is not suited at all for ducks. There's no pond or creek, and our little run is often dry. Besides the lack of water, a bird of any time free-ranging here is easy pickings for the many other critters we share this habitat with--foxes, raccoons, hawks, possums, weasels, minks, skunks, etc, etc. So what could we do with a duck?

The problem was solved today when my son flagged me on a Facebook Marketplace post. A lady was looking for a duck to be a companion to the one she had. I messaged her and after a little discussion, it was settled. Our duck found a new home. The lady is delighted with her free duck, and we're happy it has a good home. It was so cute, though. I was really tempted to keep it but common sense told me not to even think about it.

Other than the duck business, it's been an uneventful day. We made more tomato juice, this time using the Black Krim tomatoes exclusively. It is the most delicious juice we've ever made. The black tomatoes have a deeper color and are so flavorful. 


A Black Krim tomato, with a little garden dirt still on it. I love the color variations of this variety.

We also canned some whole tomatoes--these were Better Boys--and you can see the difference in color between them. The only additions to the juice were salt, pepper and a little hot sauce, so nothing to cause a color change.


About the only other thing we got into was dicing peppers for dehydrating, and Larry did some weed-eating when the rain stopped while I packed eBay sales and listed a couple things. I finished painting an enamel top table that Larry made by replacing the very weird top on a nice wood table with a porcelain top from our stock. Yes, we have several of those tops stored away, just for this purpose. I'd intended to take this table to our booth, but now I am thinking of keeping it. I could use another work surface in the kitchen; today we were hard put to find space for all the stuff we were working on.

There was a nice surprise in the mail, something I forgot I'd ordered. Who would have through flowers could be shipped like this? I will use these to replace the worn-out pansies in a few planters. A little surprise gift to myself.




Tomorrow is booth day, and a break from the kitchen. But there's a half bushel of apples waiting on me for Saturday, and I'm sure there will be more tomatoes and cucumbers too. It's a bountiful time of year, and what a blessing it is to have it. And what joy to be able to make sandwiches like this!




Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...