Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Thinking About Music

71 and humid this morning, with a good pour-down of rain around 8am that lasted for about an hour. Then hot, hot, hot and so humid. More rain may be on the way tonight. We can hope.

I've been thinking about music. 

Sometimes I in to RadioGarden, a neat internet site that allows you to click on anyplace on the globe and listen to music from that place. Sometimes I've been lucky; like right now, I am listening to a station in Ireland playing traditional Irish music, one of my favorite genres. This station broadcasts in Gaelic, even better. 

But if I click around to other stations, I often hear the very same music that's being played here in the US. I find that so disappointing. Surely each country has its own music, its own stellar musicians who would be thrilled to have their music on the radio? It makes me wonder how a few voices gain such ascendancy over all the other fine voices out there.

Most mornings I'm listening to a classical music station. It's not Larry's taste, but he tolerates it. I find the music soothing usually, especially if I've been listening to the news first. Some classical music grates on my ears, I admit, but I listen anyway because sometimes in the middle of a piece will be some particular phrase that resonates with me. And I may hear new arrangements, or musicians new to me. It's a good companion to my morning routine.

In the evenings we leave the radio on a public radio station that plays music after 7pm. The mixture offered is eclectic, and sometimes not to my taste. But I listen anyway because it amazes me how much music is being made, all the time, by so many people who will probably never hit the bigtime but who have such unique sounds and lyrics. I think about these musicians, what processes they go through to create their music, how they find the lyrics to go with their sounds, or is it the other way around? No matter if I like a particular piece, I am still in awe of the creation process. And of the way these people put themselves out there through their music.

All of which makes me wonder why so many stations play the same songs and/or the same musicians over and over, when there is a whole world of music out there? Is it because we as listeners demand it? Or because media hype of the superstars limits our curiosity about other styles and genres? Or is it the lowly dollar speaking, as the big labels have more to spend on promotion? I'm ignorant of the business of music, so I can't answer my own questions.

I'm just glad there are places available for me to listen to all the music I want, by singers and musicians who may be unknown to me, at any time of the day. 


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. Music makes life so much more enjoyable.

    I watch my 3 yr old grandson & we have a running list of songs he asks for every time he's with me: Jingle Bells,
    Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee (he wanted to learn the words because I commented once that I love that song...so he sings it to me every day.
    The Wellerman & Crab Craze. If you haven't heard the last two you need to watch them on Youtube. There are always more but those are the ones he wants to sing or hear every time. Oh...& a new one for him is John Denver's Country Roads! He's learned the chorus & sings it all the time now. His dad taught it to him.

    My favorite classical piece is Pachelbel's Canon. I have a channel on Pandora (the free site) where they play so many different versions. I love it. I've played it as background music when we've had company or when I have a quiet moment at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding me of RadioGarden...I have been listening on YouTube for a while, which has mixes of styles of music...or different musicians. I like Mozart and jazz...kind of at different times! So now I'm back...Philadelphia has some nice classical music on now, so that's how I like to read blogs in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not familiar with Radiogarden, but I will be checking it out. I like to listen to NPR, with Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me, as a favorite show. In response to your question, I will use my frozen tomatoes in soups and chili this winter. I squeeze them into a bowl and typically the skin comes right off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! I tried Radio Garden--it's a treat to hear music from Ireland and England. I'll have to try other countries as well. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...