Pages

Friday, November 19, 2021

Did You See It?

32 this morning, mostly clear. 

The eclipse last night was lovely--did you see it? I woke up at 3:30 am and remembered that it was happening. Fortunately it was clear here, so the eclipse was visible. I woke up Larry to come and see it too. I knew I wouldn't get a good photo because I had no way to steady my camera, but  I tried anyway.




I was surprised to learn how often eclipses occur. I thought they were rare, maybe once every 3-4 years, but actually there are 2 lunar eclipses a year usually, although there are years when there are none, and some years where there is only one or as many as three. Then there are the solar eclipses: these, according to the Encyclopedia Britannica, happen two to five times a year. Of course, not all eclipses are visible in all places on earth, and the weather might not be clear. And some may be partial instead of complete eclipses. 

So if the opportunity arises in future, I'll be making more of an effort to see these natural phenomena. It is funny how, as we age, we realize that the time we have left is short, and we need to make the most of it. Even if it means getting up at 3:00am.



Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately there are always clouds blocking the view over here and raining. Glad you got to see it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...