Pages

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Just the Usual

63 this morning, another cool crisp start to the day. I was in the garden early again, just having a lookabout,  but of course that led to pulling some weeds and picking things. I came in with a bucket full of kale, purslane, broccoli, baby carrots, a few squash and a couple onions overlooked when we pulled the rest. 

I went back out later to cut three cabbages, which are now shredded and mixed with salt in preparation to jar up and let ferment to kraut. 


I also planted a row of onions with leftover sets from spring planting. Thet probably won't do well, but we will get some green onions from them. I was happy to see that the beans and lettuce I planted last week have sprouted, as well as some of the sunflowers. Picked a small bouquet too, of yarrow, coreopsis, dill, oregano, bee balm, and butterfly bush, while I was cleaning out spent plants from the large flowerbed.


Yesterday I planted cucumber and cabbage seeds in pots,  for late planting, and transplanted the three chrysanthemums I started with nipped off bits from my plants. Rhe starts are doing quite well, so today I nipped off some more starts and got them in pots. We shall see how they do. It may be too late for them, but worth a try.

This fellow here has been getting into mischief lately! 


Yesterday he saw the lemon squash bread on the counter and destroyed one loaf. Then in the afternoon he dug himself a nice big cool place to sleep, right in the flowerbed by the porch. Fortunately he did not dig up any plants, but he was that close to the white phlox I have been baying along for 3 years. This year it finally seemed established, and then he went and dug that hole right beside it. Grrrr. But he is still a puppy, and I know he is going to get into trouble from time to time. Good thing I adore him!


We spent yesterday evening by the firepit, just enjoying the cool evening air, a blessing after the heat of last week. It will get hot again tomorrow, but this respite has been very welcome.


Til next time, friends!



Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

8 comments:

  1. I like phlox, especially white, so I hope they make it. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look okay so far, AC. I gave them a good watering.

      Delete
  2. It must be satisfying to grew your own veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris, it really is. Perhaps not for everyone, but being in the garden is the biggest stress reliever i know.

      Delete
  3. The pup only wanted to be cool and comfortable after destroying the loaf of bread. Poor adorable pupster. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden sounds very productive. Mine is doing pretty well. Love the pup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I finally clicked over and found you! Love the pretty bouquet you made, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you're having a great gardening year, even if the weather has been challenging! And you pup story reminded me of the only time one of my Irish Wolfhounds lifted a self-serve snack from a kitchen table. Of course it was while visiting someone, and of course my apologies and "She has never done that before! Ever!" sounded pretty thin :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...