Pages

Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Change of Plans

14 this morning, 3" of snow on the ground and light flurries.

So yep, didn't go anywhere yesterday! Stayed right here and watched it snow. 

Larry's poutin' house. He used logs from a neighbor's old chicken house, along with some he cut, to build this about 15 years ago. His idea was to use it as a camp and a hunting shack, but in reality he rarely used it, and never finished it. Still, it is pretty to look at. 


The event was canceled, and I had already decided I was not going to go, based on the weather report. That reading will be rescheduled,  probably for March.

This week was to be full of appointments, etc, but we have canceled all but one, as Old Man Winter has decided to wake up at last. This week we won't get out of the low 20s, and more snow is expected Thursday and Friday.

One of the best things about being retired is not having to go out if we choose not to. After 30 years of having to get out to work or school and driving 100 miles or more every workday, I have no desire to be out driving in bad weather. 

I am sure my Canadian friends are laughing! Three inches would never keep them home, I bet. And in the past it would not have phased me either. But today, I can stay in my warm house, look out at the snow, and enjoy its beauty without having to drive in it. 

This is perfect weather for some things, though. Like working on paperwork, reading, listing on ebay, cleaning, cooking, and such. Yesterday I made meatloaf with venison and elk meat, and this morning Larry is making a cake (fingers crossed!) because he just wants to. He has already been out to clear the walks and feed the critters. Later he will be out in the workroom, repairing a couple pieces of furniture. It will be another quiet and busy day here.

I have just finished dusting the house, and now the dogs and I are enjoying the fire, and I have my second cup of coffee, and a piece of Larry's cake yellow cake, chocolate frosting on top and strawberry jam in the center). 


The snow has stopped and I believe the skies will soon clear. I will get outside soon to take a little walkabout, I think, and scoop some fresh snow for snow ice cream. What a hard life this is!

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

7 comments:

  1. My day sounds much the same as yours. I am learning, now that I have retired, just how wonderful it is not to adhere to a schedule. So far I don't get to all of the things I want to do in a day and I love it. Larry's cake looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a perfect day to me. Especially with that meat loaf and Larry's cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told Barb I was going to make a cake, her response would be "Oh, hell no!". I am not allowed in the kitchen for reasons only known to her. The snow is beautiful and I love the poutin house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy being retired for the exact same reason. We stayed close to home today as well. Our grandson came and we baked cookies just to have an excuse to fire up the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your blog as always. Kathy near Chicago. -32 wind chill here this morning

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are expecting lots of snow today and tomorrow too. Some schools even cancel their classes. The cake looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love that photo.

    As a Canadian, I don't like driving in winter. While I will bump around town if necessary, I don't want to be on any sort of highway in 'weather'. I have been known to cancel appointments.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...