Pages

Saturday, January 13, 2024

Snowy Blowy Day

30f with flurries and strong winds.

Winter has certainly awakened! It is a cold blustery day today, so we are enjoying a fire in the fireplace and both dogs inside, a treat they enjoy more often than not these days. Temps are expected to continue to drop so more Canadian cold is on the way. I had wanted to drive up to Marietta, Ohio today for the ice-carving festival, but you know...fire and hot chocolate are so much more inviting!





Yesterday was a cold, rainy day, and there has been some localized flooding here and there connected with all the rain in the past week. If this had been snow, we would have been buried up!

The past week was one of much running about: doctor visits and booth restocking, mainly. The first doc visit went very well, the second, well, i walked out after waiting an hour to be seen. Every other patient that came in was taken back, and there I sat. I am not a patient woman. I finally told the nurses to tell the doc I was fine, had no issues and I would try to see him in 6 months. Geez. We went to lunch at Unity Cafe, a tiny little place in Parkersburg that serves crepes, and has the most delicious (and pricey!) Belgian crepes with ham, red pepper sauce and I am not sure what else was in there,  and the best Highland Grog coffee I think I have every had. Prices at this little restaurant have really jumped though, so I doubt we will be able to afford to go back,  or at least, not very often. Such a shame because I really like its comfy atmosphere. 

We followed up lunch with a trip to the ReStore nearby. Larry was thrilled to get trim wood for 25 cents a foot, and I was happy to pick up English teacups for 50 cents each. Next stop was Goodwill, where we bought a huge U-Haul box of Christmas stuff. It was a gamble that paid off, because after sorting through that box, we had $150 worth of sellable items, and still re-donated more than half of the boxful. 

We spent Thursday at home, working on furniture. Larry finished up a small table and I worked on the console table and a small smoking stand, then spent several hours pricing a few totes of stuff. We restocked our Ripley booth yesterday, and stopped by our favorite little shop/restaurant in Ripley to visit with the other regulars there before heading home.

So that was the week, in brief. The coming week looks like another week on the road: Monday a trip to Huntington for an evening poetry reading event, staying overnight at a friend's farm. Wednesday I am going to Berlin, Ohio with a friend to check out the Berlin Seed Company and start stocking up on garden seed. Thursday ibhave a visit to the orthopedic doc in Parkersburg for a second opinion on my knee, and Friday Larry has an appointment in Charleston. All weather permitting, of course.

Ending with a few pics of new things in the booth. 

This is called Little Old Lady, made by Tony Wood in Staffordshire, England.


A set of 3 Pfaltzgraff tea and coffeepots.

A cookie jar, made in Japan.


I think these are from the 60s or 80s. I had a set once in a rusty red color.


Starting to get out the Spring and Easter decor.


I love this ballerina sculpture fron Austin Studios.


Anyone remember fishnet hose?


We added this typewriter a couple weeks ago.  The mall called today, a woman asking if it worked. And I cannot remember! 


Valentines, anyone?



Stay warm, friends!

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

7 comments:

  1. Nice to have a cold day inside when you can stay inside with the dogs and the fire. I am constantly fascinated by the variety you have in your shops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Little old Woman from Tony Wood...what a charmer she is! I've surprised other patients too by walking out a few times after waiting over an hour. It's like who has value of their own time vs. the Dr. seeing someone who may be dying (I hope it's something that important at least)? But another visit is also quite easy to schedule, at the time that's convenient for me. I find mid morning gets me seen quicker than any afternoon, and I once took a 8 o'clock time just to be sure to be seen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny to hear of someone walking out on the dr for wasting your time. Had an appt at 8am Monday and the Dr cancelled due to weather. I was up, dressed and ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much cute stuff you have there, Sue. It has been really cold over here (minus 7 for 3-4 days, now minus 3), but no snow at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The price of eating in a restaurant is getting a little crazy, and the amount one is expected to tip seems to keep going up too. We rarely eat out any more. The last time we did the music was so loud it was difficult to talk, and when we asked for it to be turned down, the server told us they were not allowed to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have caused me to remember my mother's old Underwood. Your typewriter here is modern by comparison. It was something like this. https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/nmah_998196

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you waited an hour while later-arriving patients were being seen before you, I'd say you ARE a very patient woman. The only time I've done that was the day of my cataract surgery, and if I hadn't had to do presurgical testing just prior, and pre-arrange paid transportation, I probably would have asked to reschedule. My blood pressure must have been through the roof by the time they brought me in - not the best state to be in for eye surgery.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...