68°f/20°C, mostly cloudy all day, with some hard rain late afternoon. Rain yesterday too.
It has been rainy, muggy, foggy, cloudy, and did I mention rainy? Last July we begged for rsin, this July we need it to let up and let things dry out. Some of my flowers in planters have basically drowned, and I worry about blight hitting the garden. Conditions are certainly right for it.
I feel like a weakling, but we have been pretty much running the air conditioners non-stop, just to deal with the humidity. I tremble to think what the electric bill will be, but it has felt necessary to keep us comfortable. Most years, I turn.off the AC at night and open doors and windows, but last night the humidity was 93%! To me, that is just unbearable. I did turn the AC off for most of today, as it stayed fairly pleasant until the rains came.
Since it was cooler than it has been (74°), I got out and did more strintrimming, cutting back the jungle i created when I planted oregano as a ground cover. That stuff takes its job seriously! Next I tackled the bindweed that was exuberantly taking over the raspberry patch. I have the wounds to prove it too, as the raspberries were not at all appreciative of my efforts.
My reward was a small bouquet of a few things in bloom, and a stem of drift roses. I couldn't get to my zinnias as I planted them in the center of the big flowerbed and getting to them would be tricky. I just befuddle myself sometimes.
Other than that, today was a good day to dust. I got the best part of it done before sitting down to finally finish repairs on this yoyo quilt.
I have only had it for, ummm, maybe 8 years? It really didn't need much, just a few of the circles tacked back together. These were quite a fad back in the 80s, I think it was. Now it's ready to go to the booth, along with the big buffet. Derek will be here tomorrow to help us load that beast up. I know we can do it ourselves once we get to the booth, but i don't think i can manage getting it down our 5 steps from the porch to the walk.
That's about it for today. I'll leave you with this image of the new mural in Sutton, WV, which is very near the site of the Braxton County Monster sighting back in September 1952. I was lucky enough to meet Mrs. May, who never changed her story of that night, in 2002 at a 50th anniversary event.
West Virginia was the first state to launch a state-wide mural project, so murals are popping up in cities and towns across the state. I will have to keep my eyes open to spot more of them.





We’ve only had to run the AC for a few nights, but I see a few more nights looming soon for we have some really serious heat coming.
ReplyDeleteYes, more heat on the way to us too, sadly. I am grateful for this short break.
DeleteThe weather is terrible, either it's too hot to barely live, rain only for the salad and then a whole bunch of humidity... hopeless.
ReplyDeleteHave a nice Sunday!
Yes, I can see that Europe is having the same nasty weather as we are.
DeleteNice mural. We see them popping up here too. I think they brighten up blank walls and generally beautify the town.
ReplyDeleteI agree! It's a great idea.
DeleteI looked up the Braxton County Monster. What a fascinating story and who would ever want to have it disproved?
ReplyDeleteNot me! It was quite the sensation back then, and remains intriguing.
DeleteJust a quick check in after laying off blogging for a bit. Another heat wave headed this way and after the last one with company here, we decided to get two portable AC units. The first one arrived earlier than expected while we were in DC and the second one arrived yesterday also earlier than expected. We are all set for 90ยบ plus temps starting on Tuesday. Which is why I should be out weeding now in the cool of the morning.
ReplyDeleteI completely understand! So strange that this heat is affecting even those much further north
DeleteI'm curious. Do your booths provide a significant part of your income or is it more of a hobby?
ReplyDeleteThe booths are unpredictable, June. But overall, they provide about a fourth of our monthly income. To me, they are what allows us to go out to eat, do what little travel we do these days, pay for Christmas---all those extras tgat make life more enjoyable. I claim the business on our taxes, too.
DeleteI don't mind the heat so much but the humidity makes things unbearable. That mural is pretty impressive
ReplyDeleteYes, humidity is horrible. And the pollen right now, whew!
DeleteWhat a grand jungle! I love the yoyo quilt. We have a behemoth of a chest up here that no one can move. I'd like to replace it but the only way that's happening is with an ax!
ReplyDeleteWe have a cupboard like that. It was all we could do to get it in here, but fortunately we love it and have no plans to ever shift it!
DeleteStill cold here - could need such a beautiful quilt!
ReplyDeleteMy friend made me a quilt like that several years ago. You've reminded me to tack some of the yoyos back together. It's draped over the back of my favorite chair and they often come loose.
ReplyDeleteMinnesota is hot and humid.I hate it. My days of enjoying summer seem to be over. I had the ac on yesterday because of company. It took the humidity out of the air and so far with the help of fans the 95 degree temperature is not affecting me inside the house. Great looking mural.
ReplyDeleteHier ist es viel wรคrmer als es in den vorigen Jahren war. Jetzt bleibt auch der Regen aus. So ist das mit dem Wetter.
ReplyDeleteDeine Jojo-Patchworkdecke finde ich sehr schรถn und interessant. Ich habe so etwas noch nie gesehen. Wunderschรถn. Hoffentlich kannst du sie reparieren.
..."Adventure Lives Here," in Braxton County, West Virginia by Fairmont State University Studio Arts professor Joel Dugan and his students is great!!!
ReplyDeleteI will have to look up this story of the Braxton County Monster, the mural looks very well done. That lady would have been interesting to talk to. Not a wimp at all, I can’t get out in this humid weather for to long. I’d literally keel over. Pretty flowers and I like the look of your yo-yo quilt, also the buffet. Enjoy your week :)
ReplyDeleteI hear you about the air conditioning...it's 330AM and I woke with a splitting headache and turned the AC on.
ReplyDeleteI do love me a jungle! We're in for a hot week here. It wears one down.
ReplyDelete