Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2026

Thursday

70°f/21°C this morning, hazy. The Canadian smoke is making its way here, with the worst of it expected tomorrow. Warmed to 95° in town but only 88°here at home.

We left around 9 this morning to pick up a 1950s formica table in Parkersburg,  about an hour away. It looked like it was in great condition, and for $50, it was perfect to go with those 4 aqua chairs we refurbished recently. On the way up there, the seller messaged me. The table had been left out in the rain, and since these old tables had particle board under the laminate that meant the particle board had swelled, raising up the edges of the top. Did we want the table for free?

Well, since we were already on the way, we said sure. It didn't look too bad when we got there, but by the time we got the table home, more of the edges had started to swell. I was doubtful that it could be repaired, but Larry thought he could do it.

So here it is now, and I think he's right!



One edge is repaired, and tomorrow he can remove the clamps and do the other side. How cool is that! I need to order replacement caps for the legs and then it should be good to go.

When we got home, I jumped right in to making sweet pickle relish. It's time-consuming, but one batch made a two-year supply, and used up all the peppers and cucumbers we had just picked.  


It was supposed to have some red peppers in it as well, but I didn't have any, and with this weird bacterial thing going around, I wasn't going to buy any! I use this on sandwiches, in deviled eggs, chicken and ham salads, and in potato salad. So delicious. Simple recipe: finely chop about 3 cups cucumbers, 2 cups peppers, and 1 cup onion (I did this in the food processor), salt and cover with cold water for 2 hours. Drain. Mix 2 1/2 cups sugar, 2 cups cider vinegar, 1 Tbsp each celery seed and mustard seed, bring to boil. Drain the veggies,  removing as much liquid as possible. Add to the boiling mixture and cook 10 minutes. Jar up and process in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes. 

Then I went out and watered with Miracle-Gro because my poor flowers are suffering in this heat, and Larry did more weedeating and mowing. So that was our day. Not exciting, but productive. Tomorrow morning I have a LOT of zucchini that I will make into zucchini pineapple,  and maybe shredded some to freeze for zucchini bread this winter. 

Next week our weather looks more reasonable, so I hope I can get some tilling done and some late crops planted. And, I hope, tidy up my poor flowers. 

Did I ever mention how much I hate July? I am sure looking forward to a break in this heat!

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

17 comments:

  1. Too bad that table was left in the rain but it seems as if you can repair it.
    Your relish sounds tasty. My Mom used to make something similar but no one cares for relish around here so I've never bothered to make any.
    I'm not a fan of July either. August will hopefully bring cooler days although today, quite a surprise, in the afternoon the temperature fell suddenly and we ended up with thunder & lightning. Too bad it only produced a shower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry is trying but it is a bigger job that he anticipated. So we shall see if it is actually salvageable in the end.
      You know, no one likes relish here either, on its own, but in other dishes, they love it, as do I. It adds a nice twist. I like it on ham sandwiches too.
      Cooler today, thank goodness. Yesterday was almost unbearable. 95 but the feels like was 104.

      Delete
  2. We had the worst of the smoke yesterday but it's still supposed to be on the high side today.
    That's awesome that Larry is able to fix that table. Always good to have someone who's handy like that.
    The sweet pickle relish sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smoke didnt get too bad here. It was worst in the morning but ot was nothing like so many places are experiencing.

      Delete
  3. The heat is tough, but our weather is more moderate for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry is a handy man :-) Have a great weekend ahead, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is that! You have a nice weekend too, Angie!

      Delete
  5. Right now the smoke from wildfires is affecting the U.S. and Ontario, here in Canada. The wildfires are here in Canada. Last week we here in Canada had extremely hot and humid weather which the weather experts were saying was due to a heat dome coming from the U.S. Now the U.S. is experiencing smoke and bad air quality due to our Canadian wildfires. Sigh.
    Thankfully here in Montreal the temperatures have been comfortable both yesterday and today, not needing the air conditioner and I am very happy about this.
    Please stay safe, cool and hydrated.
    It is wonderful that Larry could fix the table! Your sweet pickle relish sounds very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We seem to share many environmental impacts, Linda. Mother Nature doesn't respect our boundaries! Wish we didn't pay as much attention to them either.

      Delete
  6. Doesn't the canning heat up the house or at least the kitchen? The relish does sound yummy but I'm not inclined to tackle that especially since I have none of the equipment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does raise the temperature a few degrees when I am canning. Or baking. Since most of our house is open plan, I can't close off the kitchen, which would help. Still, it is not nearly as bad as when I had no AC! Now, instead of the AC keeping it at 73° it may get as warm as 77, but cools back down after a bit.

      Delete
  7. ...I have a table like this which was a curb find.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am hoping Larry is able to salvage the table. It would be a shame if it were ruined. We are smoke free today and temps have dropped some. Still humid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Larry's amazing, but then, why wouldn't he be -- he picked you. Or vice versa! I hear you about the garden. My neighbor was supposed to water while I was gone. Maybe she did but all the dead plants suggest otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's terrible about the canadian smoke. Must be huge fires. Love all your pickling! i love making pickles and relishes too.
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
  11. We take no joy in sharing our wildfire smoke.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...