I have had this little book for about 10 years. It was in a recipe box I got in an auction. I still have the box, but thought this little book was worth a post.
I suppose the government, and the American Meat Institute, wanted to encourage cooks to use less familiar and less costly meats so tgat the better meats could go to the soldiers, because most of the recipes in this book use meats we would probably never consider today.
There are a few copies of this little book for sale on ebay for around $20. Here's a link to one (not mine; I may sell mine one day, but not yet), just in case you're pining to have a copy of your own! And if there's interest, I'd be happy to post more of the recipes.











Interesting, I'm sorry I threw away the cookbook, it would have come in handy now.
ReplyDeleteMeat heals! Just had a 20oz steak and some beef ribs for the breakfast and I am done with eating today :-) Satiated and happy!
ReplyDeletethere are a couple there that I would try but most of them are kind of on the YUCK side...lol
ReplyDeleteI'm not a big meat eater and most of those cuts of meat sound unappetizing. Although my mother said I liked pickled pigs feet when I was little.
ReplyDelete...and now there is beyond meat!
ReplyDeleteInteresting to have this glimpse into the past. Bologna with noodles - now there’s an appetizing treat!
ReplyDeleteHuh. Ingo sometimes orders pig feet from Italy. Mimimi.... He also eats liver (no kissing then!!!)
ReplyDeleteFIL made tongue, saying my ("unloved" and now ex-) SIL did not eat it - so I had to - I´m the good one, right? FIL baked it, it tasted good but I never knew what tongue I´m chewing on! You could still feel the outer structure...
I am thankful I did not and hopefully will not experience war (#Putin).
My parents knew what real hunger is and food only went to the bin when dangerous. Drives Ingo nuts cause I still live this way - no waste.
But some foods. No. I´m not even willing to try! Once we had Labskaus in Husum. I like Labskaus. It came with Rollmops and Ingo nagged so long I took a bite. It was tough keeping the Labskaus inside! I spit the bit of Rollmops in a hankerchief.
And now I sound like a spoiled brat!
Thanks, but I’ll pass. 😎
ReplyDeleteOh my, some of those sound absolutely horrible! But would be delicious if you were wet, cold and in the trenches!
ReplyDeleteGive me a pass as well!
ReplyDeleteI find it amusing that you fooled your boys into thinking tongue was ham.
ReplyDeleteI find most meat unattractive especially offal.
Does pork liver taste a lot different from beef liver? I had pigs feet once. They were awful. I used a recipe to make stuffed venison heart once. No one liked it. Now I just cook it for cat food.
ReplyDelete