57°f/about 14°C, beautiful day, and yesterday's predicted storms missed us! Thankful, as the ground is still saturated.
A whole day outside, y'all! For the first time since June, it was comfortable enough to be outside to do some things that have been on hold---like painting the patio furniture. First, though, i enjoyed the cool morning by having my tea on the porch and watching my silly dogs play. What characters. They were never still enough to get a photo, but I did catch Pip for a second. He looks like he's been up to something, doesn't he?
It took me 4 hours to get the furniture painted, and not a perfect job, but done.
Then I spent a while pulling weeds and cutting a few things back, and helping Larry load that #$%* mower one more time. He use it about 15 minutes yesterday before it quit working. So we loaded it yesterday and he took it back. The guy tweaked something, Larry came back, we unloaded it, and guess what? Still didn't run. So this afternoon back it went. I'm here to tell you, that thing is heavy, and I am tired of pushing it! My back is not a bit happy this evening. I tried to get him to call a neighbor to help, but nope. If I didn't help, he was going to try to do it alone. Man has no common sense.
After that, I took a long hot shower, then went back out to take a few photos of the flowers.
And finally, firepit time, burning up branches that came down in last week's storms. (The flowers aee silk, just brought them home from a booth and stuck them here.)
That's about it. Still a few blooms, but I know deer will have a field day while we're in Colorado. That's okay, really. The season will pretty much be over by then, and I will get some mums in to tide us over til frost.






















My sister digs her cannas tubers or they don’t come back. Maybe you need to dig and store them. She is in Ohio. Just a thought. Kathy
ReplyDeleteKathy, I never grew them until a friend gave me some. That year, I dug them and stored in the cellar in a 5 gallon plastic bucket. Bad idea, they all rotted. However, one i missed in the garden came up after winter and did great. It came back the next two years, so I planted more and left them in the ground. They were fine after winter, so I bought more...and last winter got all but this one. Now I am debating---dig it and take a chance it might rot? Leave it and hope for the best? I don't know.
DeleteI was advised to dig up my cannas and wrap them in newspaper and didn't have problems. That might help with the rot in the cellar. Otherwise, it's advised to dig them up because they often do rot in the ground.
DeleteI was taking a chance, as for the last 4 years they survived winter quite well.
DeleteThere's still quite a variety blooming around your garden!
ReplyDeleteI don't know how big that mower is but is it possible to make a ramp to get it on to the trailer? We had to make one to get the snow blower on to the back of the truck. Just wondered. Sure would spare your poor back.
It's a fair-sized riding mower, GM, a John Deere. We have ramps, and a slight rise we xan back the truck to easily, other places not so easy! Thinking about getting an electric winch! Or a new mower!
DeleteI can't remember the last time I spent a day outside. The furniture looks nice with it's new coat of paint
ReplyDeleteIt will be nice most of the week so I plan to take full advantage of it!
DeleteWe’ve had a weather-change, and I’ve covered myself with a blanket at night. I am sure that the heat isn’t quite done, but we are getting closer to autumn.
ReplyDeleteSame here, AC. I love it!
DeleteYour garden just goes on and on, and I will tell you a secret: It is the look I am trying to get in my own yard!
ReplyDeleteI know you will achieve it, Debby, and do a better job than I have. It will be fun to follow your progress!
DeleteGosh, you do have a lot of gardening to do everyday. I'm way too lazy for that. My brother lost most of his corn to deer this year. He only has a small garden plot in the City Park District gardens here but between the weather and the deer he didn't have much success this year. He never had deer come through the gardens like that before.
ReplyDeleteI can't say I work in my gardens every day,; actually they were on their own this past month or so because the weather was so awful. Usually I plant a fall vegetables garden, but i am glad I didn't do it this year. Between the heat and the rain it would have been a struggle. And since we will be away for 9 days, I am sure fritters would have eaten it up.
DeleteYour furniture looks just fantastic! Love your patio and your garden certainly didn't seem to suffer in the heat. It's beautiful. We've been cold here. 40s/50s at night, 60s daytime. I'm longing for heat!
ReplyDeleteIt wasn't the color I wanted, but the one I got mixing leftover paints together! I can live with it, and it does look better.
DeleteSo glad you got a break in the weather...and thanks for sharing photos of the pretty flowers! It sure must have been nice to sit around the fire after your busy day.
ReplyDeleteIt is pure pleasure, Barb!
DeleteSo many flowers with a nice variety. The bees must be happy at your house.
ReplyDeleteYes, and the butterflies and hummingbirds too. Buzzy place out there.
DeleteGlad you were able to spend the whole day outside and that the heat is breaking. The furniture looks good!
ReplyDeleteIt is wonderful, Michelle! I feel like I am finally catching up on the weeds
Delete...how do you care for all of this???
ReplyDeleteHard work, Tom. Lots of it. I guess you could say this is our gym or our physical therapy.
DeleteYou have a beautiful haven. Gorgeous. And yes, Pip does look like he was up to something.
ReplyDeleteI need to take some photos of what's blooming here. Since I got home from Ohio I haven't had a walk about yet. Must do that today!
ReplyDeleteHave a good trip to Colorado. You have family there?
Your photos are gorgeous, Sue!!! Thank you so much for sharing.
ReplyDelete