Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2026

Weekend Report

70°f/21°C, already feels hot. Should reach 90 today. Bah.

In downtown Ripley. 

We are back to hot weather, sadly. I am so grateful for the reprieve of the past week, when we were able to get outside as much as we wanted. After all the rain at the beginning of this month, now none is in view until possibly Thursday.  I am afraid all my planters will dry up and die before then. I will water them heavily before we leave and hope they can hang in there.


A patch of welcome shade along the driveway

The Olde Farmer's Almanac predicts a late frost for us, sometime in late October, and a mild winter. The Almanac was correct last winter, so we will see if they are right again. I prefer a real winter myself, snow instead of rain and mud! We still have hummingbirds hanging around, and I am not sure if these are our usual guys or migrators.

I have been following the news from Nepal, and it is just heartbreaking.  I was sure the videos of the border crossing between Nepal and Tibet were AI, so it was shocking to learn that they were actually real. Those poor people. Recovery will be long and difficult. We have floods here but never anything even close to that magnitude. In comparison, our life seems so safe and so mundane, it makes one feel guilty. 

So while the Nepalese struggle to just survive, here we are doing the usual stuff. The past two days, for example,  were town days, getting our booths in order and taking care of a whole list of other things. My mind kept wandering back to those people, though, and I watched the videos many times, just trying to comprehend, because I could not believe what I was seeing. 

But onward we go, with our national idiot chopping down cherry trees, randomly renaming things, insulting our allies and making empty threats. The older I get, the more I do not understand this world. Once again, Canadian friends, my deepest apologies for this insane man and his disgusting actions.

Here at our house it's little vexations, but nothing irreparable. The man who has been setting up sound for the open mics let me know that he won't be able to be there this time, and since I will not be there either, I had to show my stand-in and Shari, the store owner, how to set it up. Then the van needs an oil change so Larry picked up the stuff for that, and I had to take back almost every piece of clothing I bought the other day. Although I bought everything in the same size, some were too big, some too small. Go figure. 

Larry got his mower back, again, and this time it seems to be running just fine. No additional charge, either,  even though the problem he fixed was unrelated to the last issue. And I got my laptop back at last. According to the repairman, it had 2 viruses and the battery was bad. My son told me, after I took my computer to this guy, that he had a bad experience with him, so my fingers are crossed that he actually fixed it. We shall see. I really doubt the virus claim, since I had virus checkers and it worked fine until it just wouldn't stay on. The repair cost over half what I paid for the thing, very aggravating. 

I didn't take any booth photos this time, but did get a little better shots of the display window.


I focused on greens, amber, and orange colors, to transition into Fall.



The next window will be a Halloween theme. I am already collecting things for that.

Larry, operating the Victorio strainer the other day when we made applesauce. How people managed without this tool I do not know. There are some models with electric motors, and a friend hooked his electric drill to his to turn the drank, but we still do it by hand power, and it goes very quickly.


Great-granddaughter Elliana had her first day of school last week. Just Head Start, but she sas so excited.


She is the funniest, sweetest little thing.

And finally, a few funnies to end this post.


Can any of you relate?







Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the laugh this morning!! I hope you have a good trip. Enjoy some needed time off!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...