Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Soup for a Winter's Day


What better meal for a dreary winter day than soup? This recipe has some unusual ingredients (at least they seem so to me) but the combination is delicious. I found it online, but made a lot of changes to suit what I had available to me in my cabinets. With gas at $3.25 a gallon today, we're not making any extra trips to town (and it's a 40-minute round trip, not counting time spent in a store).

Chicken-Garbanzo Soup

2 cans chicken broth (or 4 cups)
2 tbsp canola oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp salt (optional, in my opinion)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
3 TBSP Worchestire sauce
15 oz can of garbanzo beans, or 2 cups cooked beans
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 TBSP lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
pinch of ground white pepper

Combine these ingredients in a 4-quart pan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 30 minutes. Then add:

1 cup green peas
1 pint canned tomatoes, chopped, or 1 large fresh tomato, chopped
1 cup chopped carrots
1/c cup cooked rice
1 cup water

Simmer for another 10-15 minutes, or until the added vegetables are cooked to your taste (some people like their carrots crunchy, some like then softer).

I served with Cheesy Drop Biscuits.

2 comments:

  1. And it was delicious and filling. Perfect for a cold, rainy evening of ballad searching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opps, you know I'm not anonymous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...