Chickens are one of my favorite animals. I’ve had a flock for most of the past 45 years.What I like best about them is that, unlike most animals, you can use their products without hurting the chicken. My hens tend to lead long, safe lives. We like brown-egg hens best, and especially the black-and-white Barred Rocks, or Domineckers, as they’re called around here. There's just something about the contented clucking, the excited squawking after an egg is laid, the rooster's crow first thing in the morning that makes a place feel more like a home.
So here you go: can you solve these riddles? Answers tomorrow!
- What looks just like half a chicken?
- Where do hens come from?
- Where do chicks come from?
- Which side of a chicken has the most feathers?
- Why did the chicken cross the road?
- What do you get if you cross a road with a chicken?
- Why did the chicken go halfway across the road?
- Why did the turkey cross the road?
- Why do hens lay eggs?
- What’s a chicken’s favorite holiday?
Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.