Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Onward We Go

46°f this morning, about 8 °C. Clear, low humidity,  perfect autumn weather.

I am still kicking here, albeit not very high. But progressing, yes. I get around very well with my walker, and can get up and down stairs easily if slowly. It is very straight too. The biggest issue I see at the moment is bending the knee back-- it really doesn't want to do more than a 90°angle, and needs to be much better than that. 

Therapy starts tomorrow at 7:30 am (yuck) and I imagine that will the area they concentrate on most. It is still swelled of course but not bad. I took my first shower Sunday and changed the dressing and I thought the wound looked surprisingly good. This morning, I helped prepare breakfast, washed dishes, and did some tidying up. Otherwise,  I do a lot of sleeping and resting, very odd for me but nice. Tapering off the pain meds too. A couple more views from my "nest", as I call my temporary bed on the couch:


Last night's fire helped curb the chill in the log room, where I sleep.




As for Larry: he was an angry, bitter man for a couple days, feeling very much the victim and hard done by. Finally, yesterday morning we had a good heart to heart. He was still angry and refusing to admit the problem for a while, repeating that tired old phrase, "I'm not hurting anyone but myself. " I asked him if that was so, why was I crying and feeling as if my heart would break? Why was Sarah so upset? He left the room for a while, then came back, sat down beside me and held me while I cried. He then admitted he had a problem and he would quit. AND he would call the VA to schedule a therapy appointment.  He has yet to make that call, but he will soon.
 
I know it won't be as simple as that. I know there will be backsliding and more heartache ahead. But I feel hopeful for the first time in years. We will see how we go.

I want to thank you all for your listening and supportive messages. They mean a lot to me, especially now as I try to fight battles on 2 fronts. 

I am writing all this for a reason. Normally with such personal things i would be much more reticent to share, but I think I am not alone with the alcohol issue. If what I say here can help or encourage someone else, then excellent. And it helps me to have friends who listen and understand. 

So, what else? Sarah's cabin is moving along again. Yesterday son Aaron came down to continue work on the solar panels. The spray insulation team arrived so that job is now done. Aaron stayed overnight at Derek's,  helping get prepared for the arrival of a very special guest. More about that later. Now Aaron is back here working on the cabin.  It has been very busy here, with people in and out, and 2 extra dogs on the place. Never a dull moment!

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. Larry's problem didn't start overnight and it won't miraculously go away overnight, but it sounds like you both have made an important first step. From others I've seen with knee replacements, you are doing remarkably well. It's another example of your "can do" attitude. Good luck with PT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AA for Larry, Al-anon for you. You won’t regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending you lots of hugs and love! You and Larry have been in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One step at a time. (pun NOT intended!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...