Pages

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Day Before Leaving

Today is a holding day--holding onto memories, holding onto time, holding onto my youngest son as he prepares to leave for his first Air Force duty station--Ramstein, Germany. He is the fourth of five sons to serve in the military, the second AF. Being a mother of military sons is not easy. It's a lot of waiting, watching, and worrying. It's also a lot of pride and satisfaction to see them proud of their choice, and later on finding another path in the civilian world.

It's a mystery how my sons should choose this life. I raised the first four without guns, not evn toy ones, in the house! Perhaps this is their way of getting to play with guns since Mom didn't allow it. By the time our youngest son arrives, thirteen years after his brothers, we had hunting guns around so he had his own 30-30 by the time he was 15. I'm not a fan of arms or military, but I have always supported my sons in their life choices and continue to do so.

Today I will cherish the time, enjoy listening to him talk, and begin planning a trip to Germany to visit. Always look ahead--remember the past, live in the present, and look to the future is the rule for mothers everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...