Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2007

I've been reading about the new thing in education--21st Century Learning Skills. It's a new approach to learning with a goal of better preparing kids to deal with tomorrow's world. North Carolina and West Virginia are the first two states to implement it.

I read through the CSOs for WV, and guess what? Narrative skills and writing are all though them, in every grade level. Suddenly storytelling is gaining strong attention by educators, it seems, because kids need to be able to speak and write well, and current methods aren't achieving that goal.

Last week I did a presentation for a Title 1 program. The organizer had packets of information for all the parents, teachers and principals who attended. In the packet were articles by Heather Forest, Marni Gillard, and one on digital storytelling, along with the handouts I'd sent her. Apparently Title 1 is also recognizing the value of storytelling to learning to read? or was this lady unique?

The same day I spent the entire school day at a middle school telling stories. The gig was the result of a presentation I did for the state teachers union. I have another scheduled from that same event.

So I am feeling encouraged by what I experienced at the conference. At the middle school, the teachers told me what I was doing fit perfectly with what they were teaching about writing. The kids, of course, were great! One of the 7th graders told me I was the "ultimate storyteller." It was actually the other way around--they were the ultimate audience.

I feel encouraged that perhaps teachers are beginning to understand what storytelling can do in the classroom, and what it can do for their students' achievement level. I'd be willing to bet there are some teachers out there who have known it all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...