Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day part 3: Water, Water Everywhere and Breakfast with a Stranger

The well driller arrived just after the demise of the snake (see part 2). We had not expected him to come during the holiday, much less on Sunday morning, but there he was and I bet he felt like a hero from the welcome we gave him. It occurred to me that his timing was perfect--a little earlier and he'd have been under the porch with the snake.

His news was wonderful--the pump was fine, it was the pump box that was bad. As he worked, more family arrived and I got breakfast on the table. $275 later, the water was running and I was one happy woman.

"Come eat breakfast with us," I called to the driller.

"Oh no, Ma'am, I just ate."

"We've got pancakes, sausage, bacon, melon, and coffee," I said.

"You've convinced me." He came into the house, no apology made for his dirty work clothes and none needed. "I never could turn down pancakes," he said. He told us why he hadn't been out sooner. He had three crews working, all fixing people's water.

I love to see a man eat well, and he put away some pancakes before thanking me and getting back in his truck to go to the next job. After he left, I asked my husband if that man was who I thought he was.

"Yep," he said. "He got out of prison a couple years ago."

Wide-eyed grandchildren were paying 100% attention now. "What for, Poppa Larry? Why was he in prison?"

"Well, he killed someone in a fight."

"He's a murderer?"

"It was a long time ago, and it was a stupid bar fight. He's paid for it, and he's a hardworking man." I looked at my grandchildren and thought they just had another experience at Granny's house that's a little out of the ordinary.

There are many sides to each of us, some good and some very bad. No person is one-dimensional. Sometimes we want to put those labels on each other, but who among us has not made a mistake or done something completely stupid? Some of those mistakes have disastrous consequences. As I watched the driller's truck leave, I thought that there went a man trying to put his past behind him. Not forget it, probably, but moving on. Had he changed his ways? Who could tell? All I know is that he is very good with wells and pumps, and for that I am grateful.

My grandchildren looked thoughtful as they finished their meal. I hope what they took home with them was the idea that everyone has depths we may not see on the surface, that sometimes a man can do something very wrong, pay for it and still make a life, and that anyone is welcome to share a meal at Granny's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...