Pages

Monday, May 14, 2007

Storytelling and More at Migration Celebration

Busy crafters! Over 70 visors were decorated, each one amazing and fun.

What a day! This is the sixth or seventh year I've participated in Migration Celebration, the annual festival put on by the Three Rivers Avian Center in southern West Virginia. Each year the event gets better, and more people attend.

My part in the day is to plan and oversee crafts for kids, and to do a storytelling session. This year, I was joined by daughter-in-law Jaime who did a program, craft and display about geology as an addition to the children's activities. The funny part was that lots of adults were fascinated by her display and spent a lot of time talking to her.

I worked on new stories for this year's event, wrote two songs and some riddles--all about birds. Since this is the major fundraiser for the center, I wanted to really focus on what they're all about, and that's birds.

The day went very well. The only problem I had was when that I didn't bring my sound system, because they've always had one there. For the first time, they didn't. That's what I get for thinking! It worked out all right, and I told several of the new stories, all interactive tales with puppets and the kids participating.
My voice was very tired by the end of the 45 minute set; being outside in a picnic shelter can be a tough environment without a mike. And by the end of the day, the rest of me was tired too, but very satisfied that the day went so well. I hope I'll be invited back next year. I still haven't told all the stories I developed for this year's event!

1 comment:

  1. You didn't have a mic but... the kids loved you anyway. I'm going to attempt to post a picture from one of the stories.

    The Migration Celebration was a blast! I really admire those who make the Aviarian center work. What inspirations!

    **Edit - It won't allow the pic. I'm going to have to get you some of those.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...