Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Five Sons on Mother's Day

The phone started ringing at 10 am. Son number 3 checking in, wishing me a happy day. By the end of the conversation, he's decided to stop by to borrow the rototiller because he is planting a garden this year.

Son #5 was next, calling from Gemany. He talked about his trip to Berlin to see the site of the former wall. He'd called last week too, because Mothers Day in Europe is the first Sunday in May. While he was on the phone, son #3 arrived, so they got to talk too.

Then son # 2 and son #1 called. I loved hearing from them--they are older and very busy and yet they remembered and called. Son #4 did not call, but I saw his wife yesterday, and I know he's working long hours. He calls regularly every week, so I know that if he could have called he would have.

Good sons, all. They know that I do not expect visits or want gifts. Most of them live a good distance away, and I will see them at Family Reunion next week. Gifts? I have lots of stuff,and don't want them to spend their time worrying over what to buy. I don't need more stuff.

What pleases me most is to hear their voices, to know they remembered, and to know that they are all well and thriving. What can make Mother's Day better than that?

Good sons. A woman can't ask for more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...