Pages

Monday, August 20, 2007

So What's in the Story Bag?



Someone asked me online what is a story bag, and what's in it.


My bag is a colorful patchwork mix. Inside:


Item and its Story

1 yellow glass bird: Freedom Bird

1 candle shaped like wedding cake : any story that has a wedding!

1 small clear plastic shoe : Rindercella

2 mouse puppets : Town Mouse, Country Mouse

1 Rabbit puppet : Aesop's fable about rabbit

1 granny doll : any story with a granny

1 glass fish : Three Wishes

1 plastic strawberry : First Strawberries

blue bracelet : Bracelets

jeweled broach : Toads and Diamonds

fairy puppet : Old Woman Who Lived in a Vinegar Bottle

small frog : Why Frogs Have no Tails

large gold glass marble : The Golden Ball

Sea shell: Selkie story

button: Just Enough to Make a Story

penny: The Price of a smell

feather: Taking Back Words


These are the usual items in the bag. I add to or take out items as I find things I like better, or add stories to the mix.
The bag is great for audiences of mixed ages, for places where I need to travel light, or just to add a little spice to a children's performance.

3 comments:

  1. I have been aiming to ask you, have you ever heard of or been to the Storytelling Festival they hold in Louisville each year on Corn Island? I believe it is in the autumn, but don't hold me to that. Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have, although I've never attended. I did send money to support it when it looked as if it might go under back in 2001 (the 9-11 attacks scared people off from travel and the festival was left with a lot of debt).

    Seems like there's always a conflict for me with the festival dates. Again this year, I'm storytelling elsewhere the same weekend as Corn Island. Maybe one day I'll actually get down there to see it. One of my favorite tellers, Mary Hamilton, is performing this year, I see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And your story bag worked so well at Tygart Lake. The kids loved it! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...