Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Random Thoughts and Wonder Whys

1. What is that the automobile industry is doing differently with the metals used for car bodies, and the paint? Have you noticed that nowadays when a car gets a dent, it pushes in almost like plastic--the paint doesn't even crack? Don't get me wrong, I think it might be a good thing--but what are they doing differently?

2. Why is oatmeal in a stout cardboard container, but crushable stuff like potato chips in bags that will assuredly get crushed?

3. Today I worked in the library's book sale area, sorting and packing books that were then moved to storage by the work-release prisoners we'd hired for the day. As we were sorting, one of them read the title of a book out loud: "Children and Drugs."

"Whoa," I said. "Bad combination."

"Yeah," he replied. "I should have read that book a few years ago."

These young men impressed me. I don't know why they were afoul of the law. I do know that they worked hard, and that they were readers. They all agreed that Louis L'Amour was the best, and all had read Where the Red Fern Grows. "That's a good book," I said, "but every time I read it, the dog still dies. Same ending every time." They looked at me a second, then grinned. One said, "Hunh. I noticed the same thing!"

4. Why is it that when I don't have my camera I see the most amazing things?

Like in Columbus the other night in the McDonald's drive-thru lane there was a tow truck, and right behind him a hearse. Were they in a partnership to go to wrecks together?

Or yesterday morning--the sun coming up a dangerous ruddy glow, and in the west the full moon tinged pink from the sun's rays. That was just minutes before the snow began to fall so thickly I could barely see to drive.

This morning was cold and clear, and when I reached the end of Joe's Run the moon was still big and round in the west. It made a golden path across the ice on the lake. Beautiful. And no camera. Sigh.

5. Why am I so lucky as to have a husband who waxes floors and dusts, and then fixes my dinner and has chilled wine and a fire ready for me when I get home? What did I ever do to deserve that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...