Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Leftover Pumpkin?

Cushaw pumpkins--the green striped ones in the photo--have a yellow flesh that can be used in any pumpkin recipe. The color will be different but the flavor and texture is excellent. Butternut squash in the right of the photo is also a good substitute for the traditional orange pumpkin, and it also has a lovely smooth texture. I canned and froze my prepared pumpkin. Freezing is a lot faster, but the canned pumpkin is very pretty and easier to use, I think.

You made the pies and now you still have some pumpkin left over. Or you didn't make the pies and still have a can of pumpkin or prepared fresh pumpkin to be used. Or you just love pumpkin and seek out recipes of all kinds to try.


I'm in the last category. I like pumpkin in cakes, pies, loafs, cookies, bars, ice cream and butter. There are other ways to eat it that I haven't yet tried, like pumpkin soup, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin fudge...ah, the possibilities! I posted a few of my favorites last year, and you can find them here.

Here is one of my favorite recipes for this versatile vegetable.

Pumpkin Nut Bread (or Muffins)

3 cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup cooked, prepared or canned pumpkin (see below)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup softened butter
1 cup chopped pecans

Stir together flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices. Combine pumpkin, sugar, milk and eggs in a separate mixing bowl; add the dry ingredients and the softened butter. Mix until well-blended. Stir in nuts. Spread in a well greased standard size loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

This bread can be frozen and used later, and that's a handy thing during the holidays. I often bake it in muffin pans so that I can carry it easily in my lunch. If you use muffin pans, expect them to bake in about 20 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness as above.

How to Prepare Fresh Pumpkin
You can learn more about how to prepare and preserve pumpkins by freezing and canning at this site.


4 comments:

  1. Pumpkin Pie is one of my favorite things in the world. We have it all year long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Mouse. Pumpkin pie tops even apple pie in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pumpkin. The bread sounds really good. But, I wonder what the fudge tastes like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know, Janet--I've never made it, but I'm curious too. Southern Living's website has this recipe:
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1108208

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...