Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Homestead

I spotted this old homeplace as we were driving  back road on Saturday. I liked the footbridge across the creek, leading to the barns and fields. It made me wonder who had lived there. Can you see a tow-headed boy with a bucket and wearing bib overalls crossing that bridge with the morning sun slanting in as it is in this photo? Maybe he's going to milk, or to feed the hogs or gather eggs from the henhouse. Although that last might have been considered "girl's work" in his time. 

I wonder where their garden was--perhaps behind the house? There must be a cellarhouse somewhere too.

The smaller building is built of logs--perhaps this was  the chicken house. The logs provide good ventilation as well as shelter from varmints that enjoy a tasty hen. The leaves, as you can see, were just beginning to turn on Saturday, but today they are coming into full color and this scene probably looks a lot different now, with bright golds and red coloring the trees.


5 comments:

  1. Looks like glorious weather. Are any of these old buildings being preserved, Sue, or will it be a case of "you don't know what you've got till it's gone". Love from Cousin John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The homestead looks rather sad and deserted now but what a lovely spot to have lived and farmed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the weather is gorgeous, John--clear and low humidity, nice cool mornings with heavy dew. It's the very best of fall. I do not think this place will be preserved, sadly. Many people don't see what we see--the heritage that's being lost. So I take photos to try to capture it before it's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rowan, I felt that sadnness too; I can see the life that was so vibrant here, but only the shadows remain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The homestead does look sad and neglected but as I looked at the footbridge and the photo of the house and barn, I had goose bumps . . . as tho I've seen this farmstead. Love them West Virginia hills.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...