Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Skenandoah's Stone

The Skenandoah Boulder sits beside Route 5 in New York state, just outside of Clinton, NY. Lorna and I passed it by, but curiosity overcame us so we went back to see what it was. The boulder commemorates the last home of Skenandoah, an Oneida chief who became a friend of the settlers during the French and Indian War. Legend has it that he took corn to Valley Forge during Washington's hard winter there. 

He is buried in a cemetery with a commemorative marker, not far from the site of this stone.

Such historical markers are often overlooked; many, life this one are showing signs of age and neglect, and yet this man played a large role in the early history of our country. I had not heard of him until I saw the boulder, although I was raised very near the Shenandoah River in Virginia, which supposedly was named for him. I wonder if that part of the story is true? Anyone know?


3 comments:

  1. What an interesting story behind the stone. I wonder how many people these days actually stop and look at it? Well done for being one (or two)who actually did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this area's history! The French and Indian War has always fascinated me. What a lovely serendipitous find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. there is a Shenandoah in Iowa. I'm pretty sure I never knew there was chief by that name : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...