Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

Soup for the Sick

It's time to make soup. I caught some kind of bug, so I made my I'm-sick-and-I-want-comfort-food-soup. It's really just chicken noodle but when I'm not feeling well, tea, soft boiled eggs, oranges and chicken noodle soup are the foods I can stomache.

Here's my chicken noodle soup recipe (this time, anyway. It changes from one time to another.)

2 quarts of water
3 chicken bouillon cubes or 3 cups of chicken broth
3 stalks of chopped celery
1 cup of chopped carrots
1 or 2 onions, chopped (I used 2 medium)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
herbs of your choice, to your taste. I used rosemary and marjarom.
1-2 cloves of chopped garlic
dash or two of hot sauce
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
1-2 cups of cooked chicken, cubed
12 ounces of egg noodles

Put everything except the noodles in the pot in the order listed, turning the heat on as soon as you have the water in the pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the noodles and cook until they are done, about 10 minutes.

This makes enough to get me through, and there's usually enough for Larry as well. He doesn't even need to be sick to like it!


Copyright 2012 Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

8 comments:

  1. Hope you're feeling better real soon; it's no fun to be sick during Christmas! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soup that's soup is never going to be made the same way twice ... but I never thought of adding hot sauce and pepper flakes. That is definitely a recipe worth steal-- I mean, borrowing. Thanks! And I hope you're at least beginning to feel a bit better ...
    --Mario R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mamabug, I am already well on the mend, thank goodness. I really do think I've had a sinus infection for some time and it just got full-blown. I must admit it was nice to just slow way down, rest, drink tea and be taken care of a bit by hubby :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought og hot sauce or red pepper in my soups either, Mario, until one day I was trying to duplicate the taste of Campbells, adding different things and testing. I suddenly realized it needed a little zing and grabbed the hot sauce. Voila! Of course, each person will need to adjust the red pepper flakes and hot sauce to their own tolerance level for zing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen Larry without a smile on his face so I don't believe he can even get sick! Of course, with good soup, why wouldn't he smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious! Time to make more here.
    I am slowly learning to add a bit of spicy peppers to my cooking, since my CSA share usually includes many -- they do well in the dry conditions of the past two summers. I've given away many, and frozen some for myself . . .
    Merry Christmas, Sue! (I "stole" another idea from you and am doing a small give-away on my blog).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good, Susanna. Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you are feeling better. Chicken soup is the best when you're under the weather. And yours looks yummy!

    =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...