Pages

Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Falling Snow

For Snow
by Eleanor Farjeon (1881-1965)

Oh the falling Snow!
Oh the falling Snow!




Where does it all come from?
Whither does it all go?


Never never laughing,
Never never weeping,



Falling in its Sleep,
Forever ever sleeping--


From what Sleep of Heaven
Does it flow, and go



Into what Sleep of Earth,
The falling, falling Snow?

--------------------------------------------

Farjeon had it right. Still it falls, and falls, and falls. Today's storm has added about 4 inches or more to the 2-3" already on the ground; the wind whipping around makes me wonder if the ridge road is drifting in. At least today has been warmer, up into the 20's even, which feels like a heat wave. Like yesterday, we've concentrated on home work. 

Today I tackled my work room once again. This room can get out of hand so quickly, which I suppose should not be a surprise considering the amount of business I do in here. I really could use more space, that's the truth, as I spill out of here frequently into other rooms, particularly to price and pack for the booths. Still, I feel fortunate to be able to work from my home, particularly in this kind of weather.

We had several packages waiting for us at the post office. Normally our mail carrier brings them to the house but not in snow. So today Larry took our truck to the top of the hill and left it there, and the mail carrier put the packages in the truck. More than one way to get it done!

I was cooking again too. I am on a mission to use up more of the food we have stored. Today I made parmesan-coated chicken, roasted seasoned potato wedges and steamed broccoli. The chicken recipe called for dijon mustard, wheat bread crumbs and fresh parsley. Since I had none of the above, I substituted and it was delicious! Here's how I made it:

8 boneless chicken breasts
2 slices rye bread
1 tsp dried Italian herbs
1 TBSP olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
horseradish sauce

Spray a baking pan with cooking oil and place the chicken on the pan.
Tear the bread into small pieces and place in a blender. Add the dried herbs, salt olive oil and cheese and pulse until the bread is crumbled and the ingredients are well blended. 
Pat the cheese mixture onto the chicken breasts and bake at 40 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until done.

We have plenty left for tomorrow, so I already have dinner made. 

We had a little scare when the gas went off in the middle of the afternoon. Larry went out and tinkered around with it and got it going pretty quickly but with the cold we've had lately and are expecting later this week we don't need the worry of the gas going off. I am not sure what caused it but we'll be keeping an eye on it for sure. Free gas is nice, but it can also be a headache--ours has frozen off once last year and once the year before so I am far from trusting it if we have to be away in cold weather. We do have backups in place--in the country a person needs to back up everything and always be planning ahead.

Stay warm!


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. I cook a panful of chicken in the oven every other week or so, but the past 3 trips to the butcher, they were completely out of boneless chicken thighs! I find thighs tastier (and much cheaper) than breasts, but next time I'm not leaving that shop without SOME part of a chicken, so we'll see what happens! And whatever parts are available, I'll try breading them - sure looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a couple of inches of blowing snow here yesterday, but will be in the 50's today. Crazy weather. Glad you guys are staying warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy your blog. The snow looks lovely on your deck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I can feel the cold coming from those photos!

    =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...