Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Happily Ever After: A Short Short Story

The wedding dress was still in the box in the secondhand store. A girl picked it up and held it against her.

“Can we buy it?” Fairytale sequins and lace glistened.

“We don’t have enough money,” the boy said.

"I know. I just wanted a pretty dress to be married in. I can wear my Sunday dress. That will be fine."

"Once I'm in Afghanistan, the military will send you money. You'll be okay. A dress won't make us more of less married." He pulled the girl to him and wrapped his arms around her.

At the counter a woman whispered to the clerk, “Put that dress on my bill. Don't tell them until I've left."




6 comments:

  1. That's wonderful. We were on a flight last year and a man in 1st class gave his seat to a soldier. My husband was in the military for 21 years and I'm glad to see people start appreciating their military.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful story! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love love love - you are such a wonderful story spinner. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let us all pay it forward . . . sweet story.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...