Pages

Sunday, December 10, 2017

A Little Snow and a Lot of Stuff

We got our first measurable snow last night--only half an inch or so, but it's very pretty out there this morning. I know Tipper and her family got a big snowfall, and I bet they're enjoying it. I am happy to have this little skiff, as my Dad would have called it. It makes things look fresh and new. If you're one of the lucky ones with several inches on the ground, you might want to check out this post I wrote a while back for some fun things to do with all the white stuff.

For the past few days, we have had to focus on booth work. Both places sold some larger pieces of furniture and that meant we needed replacements ASAP because those pieces--two cabinets and a large credenza--held a lot of stuff. I have nothing ready to go because I've had no time to paint for quite a while, so we went hunting.

We found this rustic green cupboard at a flea market, and it was just what we needed.

At the same place, we also found this, but it wasn't together.

The base was by itself, and the top with screwed down on top of a padded footstool. How weird is that!

We took the top off and attached it to the Singer base, did a little sanding and waxing and it was ready for the booth. I will redo the footstool too with new fabric for the top and paint for the base. But that can wait a little while.

Of course we found lots of other stuff too. A few things not pictured below are a 1930's gas cookstove and a very old, probably 30's, Maytag wringer washer. Both need work so they will have to wait until Larry can get to them. But they are so cool!

Also found this old push plow with a broken handle (got a spare handy, anyone?) and a poultry crate that also needs a little repair. The crate will be a fast fix, the plow might have to wait until we can find or make a handle for it.

We found lots of smalls too.
Hazel Atlas Strawberry jar and Christmas glasses, Anchor Hocking strawberry mug.
Reds! I am such a sucker for this color. Keeping the platter, the rest is in the booths.
This stacking tea set was made in Czechoslovakia.
Pyrex "Primary Colors" blue bowl, and Hazel Atlas "Kitchen Aids" in aqua.

The little lamp was identified by the seller as Fenton. The shade is metal.

This is called Gaudy Welsh, not sure why. It's a type of English pottery with more primitive decoration. 

Here's a look at a few other changes in the booths. I rearranged and added some new things to give a Christmas color scheme.



I found this table on my recent storytelling trip. All it needed was a little tightening up. I already had the four chairs ready to go.


The dropfront desk is another recent find. 


More recent finds: the croquet set, small table, black pump and red washboard.


A few Christmas things made it to our Ravenswood booth. I have more, packed away somewhere...guess they'll wait til next year.


Handmade quilt with embroidered birds. It's in very good condition except for a little embroidery in a couple places could use repair.


 Lots of chrome for the retro kitchen!


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. Believe it or not we've got snow in the UK today. We've had so little in the last few years that there's a whole generation of youngsters out there enjoying the delights of the white stuff for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good finds Susanna. The singer base/table was a great find and a puzzle solved.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is this flea market? Since your a lamp girl I was wondering if you have or would know where I can find a kitchen wall lamp? I don't have a light over my kitchen sink and when I was growing up my mom and grandma's always had them. A lot of times they have either fruit or vegetables on them, they hang on a nail and are plugged into an outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tressa, I have two booths. I have one in Ravenswood, WV and one in Marietta, OH. I do have one of those little lamps you asked about, at Marietta. Email me and I will see if I can find a photo of it for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...