Pages

Thursday, January 18, 2018

A Few (Mostly) Finished Things

I've been painting like a fool this week, from picture frames to my bedroom walls. It's a good time to get it done, with the outdoors inches deep in snow and the temps deep in the single to negative digits.

This chair was a quick job, needing only paint and the seat recovered. Picture 70s pecan finish with a green brocade seat--that's where I started. Now it would look good with today's shabby chic decor. Since my house is shabby (not so much chic) the chair is going in the newly painted bedroom. i'll post pics of the room when I'm done, as I still have some small things to finish in there.




The seat cover is an old quilted pillow sham, treated with Scotsguard.




Here is one completed, and already sold project, a dressing table. I don't have before pics of this one either, but imagine mahogany stain and well, stained.


This table is still in progress. Here you see what I started with. It have been completely orange, with an antiquing glaze. Sanding revealed several other colors.


My first intent was to paint it white and distress so that some of the undercolors showed, but after I got started, I had another idea. So it's white on top, pale gray on the base, with a stencil that goes all around. I still need to find a different pull and seal with a top coat.


This little trunk is also still in progress; I got sidetracked with the table and the bedroom. Here's the before photo:


We had to replace the bottom and do a lot of cleaning on the inside as well as sanding the exterior.

Here's how it looks right now. I still have to do a glaze to bring out the pattern in the metal, and finish out the inside.


I can't remember if I posted this one before, a damaged wardrobe turned into a deep cabinet. The doors were warped and not repairable, so we took them off, added shelves and painted.


I am also painting my husband's wardrobe right now; it looked pretty rough in the newly-painted bedroom. So my hands have been paint-covered pretty much all week.

Well, back to work. Don't want my brushes to dry out!

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. You get SO MUCH DONE! I am a lazy layabout by comparison. And that table in particular looks like a huge challenge that turned out very well. All those layers of paint in many colors - wow. Now no one will ever guess - and what a nice idea with the trim all around.
    (Several of my fingernails are still purple, and I haven't painted a thing!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lot of work. I think my favorite is the trunk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some nice pieces here! I especially like the table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Busy but the best kind - getting things done and into their new home/place. Good to see the big changes that the paint/color/stencil pattern makes on that table (what a change).
    Joy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...