Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2018

A Busy 4th

Day one of the annual big antique show and flea market is over and man am I whupped. The temperatures were over 90 degrees and with the humidity it was one of the hottest days I can remember.

It was a good day, though, with lots of sales and so many nice people. One of my favorites today was the young boy of about 7 who looked very puzzled when I said hello to him. He thought I must know him.

"My name is Willie," he said, "and that's my grandpa William," pointing to an older gentleman.
Then he asked, "Who are you?"

"I'm Susanna," I said.

"Oh. Well, it's very nice to meet you." And off he went with his grandfather. I am still smiling over his courteousness.

Then there was the couple with a 4 year old and year-old twins. The four-year-old was wanting to touch a lot of things, and Dad was kept busy keeping him straight. I had a bag of small toy cars, and offered them to the little guy. He was over-the-moon happy about that! "I've never had so many cars!" he said. "Thank you very much!" What sweetness.

Other memorable people: the woman who came back three times to enjoy standing in front of our awesome antique fan (that is NOT for sale!); the woman and daughter from Texas who bought one of my painted mirrors and an old, faded flag; the lady who stayed for a leisurely conversation about storytelling when business was slow; vendors, some of whom I see often, others only at this market. And so many others.

Our sales were good on this first day and although the heat was beyond believable, people seemed to enjoy themselves.

I started the day by getting the booth opened up, then I left to tell stories at the annual Mountain State Arts and Crafts Fair a few miles down the road. Since it was early--the fair had just opened--it had not yet got really hot. I was in a tent with a big fan, a real blessing. Today was stories from the German culture. I'll be back at the Fair Friday and Saturday for Celtic and Americas storytelling.

Right now, though, I'm off to bed early so I can be ready for another hot, busy day.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...