Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

All That Squash, All That Zucchini: Recipes

Like anyone with a garden this year, we've been inundated with squash. What to do with it all?

I was thinking about all the things I've tried, recipes both successful and not-so-much. Click on the highlighted links if any of them interest you, or scroll down to my latest find, a recipe for Cheddar-Zucchini Bread.

In past years I tried a recipe for zucchini chips. Tasty, and we've made several times since then. I used yellow squash in the photo.


I also tried drying squash, using a method found online. Not a fan of the result, but the chickens enjoyed it.

Squash pickles were so good, but no one here will eat them but me. So not a real solution. Ditto the zucchini pickles.

Then I tried freezing it. Nope. Mushy and squeaky. Chickens scored again. It's not good in soups either, just mushy and unpleasant in my experience. It might work in frozen soups, but I have not tried that...yet.

Last year I tried two new tricks: grind it up and freeze it to make zucchini bread and to add to soups, stews, sauces, and even meatloaf. This time I scored. It was a great way to store the goodness for use year-round.

I also tried sauteeing the squash with peppers, onions and celery. Again, a hit. I could use it in stirfry --it wasn't crispy as fresh-made but still good--or over pasta with lots of parmesan added. I've made a lot of it again this year.

This year I've found two new ways to use my bountiful supply. First is simple: slice it thin and add to salads, something I've done before but forgotten about.



or serve with a ranch dressing dip. Larry ate one whole zucchini himself with the dip. Score!

The second way is also a keeper: Cheddar-Zucchini Bread. I believe this recipe came from a magazine, but I can't recall which.


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Whisk together 3 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon backing powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. To this add 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan,1 tablespoon sugar, another 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 tespoon cayenne pepper. Whisk all together.

In a separate bowl whisk 2 large eggs and 1/2 cup vegetable oil. Then add about 4 cups grated zucchini and whisk together.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir all together. I was very glad of my KitchenAid because this mixture is VERY stiff. Add 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese and stir til evenly mixed. Spread 1/3cup of grated cheddar over the top.

Pour this (actually, more like spreading) mixture into a prepared pan. The recipe called for a 9 1/4 x 5 1/4 by 2 3/4-inch pan, but I opted for 2 regular-sized loaf pans and really liked the resulting shape and crustiness.

Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes if using the larger pan, or about 40 minutes if using the loaf pans. I used the toothpick test to be sure they were done.

Turn out onto a cooling rack immediately after removing from the oven.


I think this bread would be awesome with a little jalapeno pepper added, or with added bacon or sauteed onion or roasted red pepper or even dried tomatoes.

It is absolutely delicious, hot or cold. We even toasted it to have it with breakfast. I was wishing I had some red pepper jelly to spread on it for even more zing.


And lastly, if you just want to know more about the zucchini plant's history and folklore, click here.



Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

7 comments:

  1. I love zucchini but this year it just didn’t grow. Even the farmers market didn’t have many. The rest of our garden did spectacular so I won’t compla too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Birdie! I love your name. So reminiscent of earlier times.

    It's funny how our gardens will overrun us with one thing one year, and something else the next. Last year we were swamped with apples but got no cucumbers or squash. This year, no apples but plenty of cukes and squash. Which is why I put up enough for two years whenever we get a bumper crop of anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like chocolate zucchini cake and also India zucchini relish which is like hamburger relish with lots of spices added. I can email you the recipes if you want.

    Batsy in Idaho

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have gotten to where I only plant one of each and that does me for the season! lol I am the only one that like either one, in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a little envious! I didn't plant any summer squashes this year because I am set on saving seeds from the winter squash (candy roasters) and thought it likely the two would cross-pollinate no matter how far apart they were planted. Besides, I thought folks would be offering sacks of zukes soon enough...but nary a one has appeared! Still think I made the right decision, but I do miss the pattypans and crooknecks especially.
    Say, one thing a lot of people are doing with zukes now is either "spiralizing" into little curly strings or cutting into thin strips, then boiling them a little, and using them like pasta! I think it started with folks avoiding gluten or carbs, but it sounds like a great idea to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, a friend was just talking about that spiral thingie last night. I haven't seen that but I'm okay with regular noodles, LOL. I did try spaghetti squash a few times and was underwhelmed. But I may try again.

    Our winter squash suffered the same sad fate as a lot of things in the big garden: deer. We lost the (big) second planting and most of the corn to them. They'll be feeding us this winter, I hope! Revenge will be ours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've used a spiralizer and like it - although zukes have a lot of water in them so you can't boil them for more than few seconds or they get mushy. Just need to heat them a bit. Sometimes I don't bother boiling them - just put the hot spaghetti sauce on them and it warms them up nicely - and they then still have a little a la dente bite to them. I like to use my squash for 'chips' - although I typically fry mine coated with corn meal in an electric fry pan coated. I then make a pseudo-tzatziki dip from yogurt, chopped cucumbers, garlic, and mint or dill (whichever I feel like) and dip the zucchini (or yellow squash) chips in my homemade sauce. Delish!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...