Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2018

So Many Ghostly Irons in the Fire

And they're all hot!

It's been a busy time this last week and while I've certainly been at the computer and writing, I have not been blogging. Sometimes it seems like my brain is just too full--like a stove full of bubbling pans, all needing attention at the same time.

But I am working my way through it and pretty soon I will be actually out there doing what I've been planning for the last few weeks. Because it's October, you know, and for me that means ghost stories.

So, first up will be stories for a conference at the Greenbrier Resort. Now don't go getting jealous--I won't be staying, just having dinner and telling tales. This group wants ghost stories, so I am practicing the old ones and adding new ones to my set list for this event.


Ripley, back in the day. Notice the mud street. Some of these buildings
are still standing.
That will be followed by the first of two Ghost Walks in my town the following weekend. This has been where much of my time has been invested lately. This is the 5th year for the walk and every year I try to add something new. This year I'm changing it up significntly, adding lots of Civil War lore and new stories. The Civil War was not a big deal here, but even so there are some interesting tales to be told about what happened in our little town.
Downtown Ripley in its early days. Check out those boardwalks!

One of those stories is about a young man who was killed in the town. I found just a one line mention of this event in a document recording early history. I went looking and found more but still nothing concrete--his name was Willie, William, or Joe. He was on leave, he was a Confederate soldier, he wasn't a soldier, his father was this man, no it was this man...you know the kind of vague, passed-down stories that get fuzzy with the telling. But recently I found several more detailed, credible accounts that have finally answered my questions.
The Jackson County Courthouse. We start the ghost walk from those steps. There have been three courthouses
on this site, and each one had a case where a man was sentenced to be hanged.

Then there was a Dr. Chase who had the townspeople lock up all weapons in the jail, then he left with his new Union recruits for a nearby town--and after he left, Confederate marauders swept into town and took it over amidts much uproad and hijinks. I wanted to know more about this doctor--was he really Union, or an undercover Confederate agent? Why did he lock up all the guns and leave? And where did he go after the war? I've learned a great deal and will add this story to the walk, even though I still have a few unanswered questions about the good doctor's life after the war.

The old Maguire Hotel, no longer standing. This was the site of a gruesome murder. Murdered man and murderer both lie in the same cemetery.
Another tale of murder, another death at the railroad depot, more about a sad suicide...such has been my study and digging of the past few weeks. It's going to be a good walk this year for sure, if Mother Nature will just cooperate.

In two weeks I will be teaching a workshop at the Pearl S, Buck homeplace in Hillsboro WV, on telling ghost stories. So that has also been on my mind and my agenda as I put together notes and ideas and handouts.

There are also numerous ghost story programs to present at libraries across the state this month, so I will be completely spooked and spooky by the month's end.

I love October. I love the changing of the leaves, the ripening of apples and nuts, the putting up of fall decorations. But most of all, I love the stories that go with this haunted month.

If you want to catch one of my events, here's where I will be. I hope to see you at one of these places!

Oct 7: Greenbrier Resort, Ghost Stories, private event.

Oct 12: Ripley Middle School full day performances

Oct 13: Do You Believe? Ripley Ghost Walk, 7pm. Starts at the Ripley courthouse. $10 per person. Not recommended for young children.

Oct 20: Storytelling Workshop, Pearl S. Buck Birthplace, Hillsboro, WV. Details 10am-4pm. 
$10 per person. Telling Ghost Stories. Calvin Price Series, Pearl S. Buck Foundation.

Oct 22: Mannington Public Library, Ghost stories! 6:00pm

Oct 24: Petersburg WV Moomaw Mem Library, Ghost Stories! 7:00pm

Oct 25: Calhoun County LIbrary, Grantsville, WV, 6:00pm Ghost Stories!

Oct 31:Do You Believe? Ripley Ghost Walk, 7pm. Starts at the Ripley courthouse. $10 per person. Not recommended for young children.

Nov 1: Moorefield WV Library, 6pm: Ghost Stories!

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...