Pages

Friday, December 28, 2018

Christmas and Aftermath

Christmas is behind us, and it's time to look ahead.

One thing I am doing to get ready for the new year: working on paperwork. It will be awesome to be caught up by the end of the year. I still have a long way to go to reach that goal. I've done better this year about getting receipts entered but still got behind the last 3 busy months.

It is no fun to sit here, entering numbers, but it must be done. I have learned that I need to take breaks so my eyes don't burn up and my back ache.


So the dogs and I took a long break this afternoon and walked in the woods, a perfect way to clear my head before digging back in. Around here, all walking is either uphill or downhill, not much in between so it's a good cardiac workout. Today the weather is cloudy but the temperature is in the 60's so it's perfect walking weather. I kept my eyes on the bank of dark clouds to the west but so far the predicted rain has held off.


We brought a little of the woods back inside with us, bits found on the forest floor.

I am slowly recovering from our Christmas trip across the mountains, first to our oldest son's home for Christmas Eve and Christmas morning, then to my sister Theresa's in northern Virginia for Christmas evening. Seven of our siblings were there, out of thirteen so it was nice to see so many brothers and sisters, some of whom I have not seen for five years or more. The visits with my son and his family and my siblings were wonderful, filled with love and laughter. It was well worth the long drive.


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Sue, so sorry this happened to you. When you are ambushed with such abuse it is so very painful. You will have to do as you wrote and hope that you can stop those memories when they jump into your mind and turn them away. I talk aloud about gardens and blossoming trees and continue to talk to myself about what I will be planting and so on and that usually stops my mind from going to places I do not want to revisit. Takes practice.
    Hugs.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good advice, Joy. I was awake the better part of ast night thinking about it, but I need to just move on. Keeping busy is my usual antidote :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry that happened and tarnished your Christmas time. Try not to absorb the anger of others. Harder said than done, but her issues aren't necessarily yours. I hope today was a better day. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sue, I am so sorry this happened to you! I hope you will be able to focus on all the happy moments and reunions of your trip and let this go, now that you've decided to cut off future opportunities for abuse. Not easy, I know, but as someone once said to me when I was fretting aloud about cruel words that had been said to me, "Why are you giving this person free rent in your head?" and when I looked at it that way, it was a little easier to learn to replace the fretful thoughts with thoughts I actually wanted to "live with" in my head.
    Big hugs from Massachusetts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn, yes today was better, esp after talking with one of my sons. Solid men, my boys.

    And Quinn, those are wise words. I am slowly finding my way back to peace. Thankful for friends and family that love me and stand by me. Today I am cooking--and finally back to painting furniture after a 3-month break. Feels good to get the paints out again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dee from Tennessee aka Devonia

    I am just so sorry that this unexpected turn of events happened to you , and , although I was never blessed to be a mother , I know the quickest way to pierce a mother's heart is anything that involves anything about their child . To be honest, I am flabbergasted. Life has its twists and turns , and how I wish you could have been spared this . You've been through so much on you as it is . Prayers that you can remain on good terms with the grandkids . So thankful you have your Larry when storms and gales rage. Sending a big hug to you !!.


    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...