Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Leeks and Scones, Planting and Spring

I suppose I will always be a food-putter-upper. I wondered if the urge would ever leave me or at least die down but so far it seems to be going strong.

Larry did the shopping this week, and brought home a bag of the biggest navel oranges. I've written about drying orange peel before, and I have to admit that every time I peel an orange and don't use the peel for something I feel guilty. So yesterday, I thought I'd grate and dry the skin of the orange I ate, and save it for future use. But as it turned out, the future came really fast because I have been craving scones, so why not make orange-cranberry ones?


When I posted on Facebook about feeling guilty about throwing away orange rinds many friends offered their own uses for orange peel: in a potpourri mix with anise stars and cinnamon sticks, to deodorize garbage disposals, candied orange peel, put into a jar with vinegar for use on salads. I went looking and found a website with all kinds of great ideas for using orange peels so now I cantry out some new uses. Although I must say, the scones tasted wonderful. You can find my basic scones recipe here.
Leeks are another example of my food-hoarding habits. I love leeks--potato-leek soup, cock-a-leekie, leeks mixed into all kinds of recipes. Around here, leeks can only be found at certain times of year, which is so irritating. So when they came available right before St. Patrick's Day, I bought a bunch of them and dried them.


They dried beautifully in the dehydrator. I packed them into a jar and put them in a dark corner of a cabinet where the light will not bleach out their pretty colors.  You can find lots of recipes for leeks on this website.

Today won't be a cooking day, I'm thinking. After finally doing my taxes after a month of procrastination, I want to get outside today. A good neighbor came over the other day while we were off storytelling and tilled up our gardens so I am ready to get some seeds in gthe ground. Since it's the waning moon right now, we'll probably put in beets, carrots and onions.

Speaking of planting, the lettuce and radishes I sowed in the hotbed are now up and doing well under glass. Nothing says first day of Spring to me like little seedlings emerging from the soil.

Happy Spring, my friends! (A little early since it does not actually arrive here until 5:58pm.)


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

8 comments:

  1. "the future came really fast" made me laugh :)
    Can you grow leeks in your neck of the woods? Might be fun to try.
    We're getting some patches of mud between the patches of ice and snow, so it does feel like Spring today - sort of - but snow is predicted again this week so I'm not going to get too attached to it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you could try dry leeks, can you do it without a dehydrator?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have grown them before, Quinn, and may try again this year. They take a very long season so it's tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I think you could, Janet. A warm oven (about 145 degrees) is recommended by one site. I often dry herbs and things in the oven just with the pilot light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew leeks for the first time ladt year hete in Iowa. I read up on them before harvesting. I was advised to leave some in the ground over winter. These I will eat this year and plant new ones to replenish for next year. I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew leeks for the first time ladt year hete in Iowa. I read up on them before harvesting. I was advised to leave some in the ground over winter. These I will eat this year and plant new ones to replenish for next year. I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nance, I hope to grow some again this year. I do love their flavor. Didn't realize they could over-winter! That's a huge plus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness. No more phone comments. I will sit at the computer to comment. Not only did I make typos -- but I did it twice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...