Pages

Monday, April 8, 2019

First Salad

This is what I look forward to every Spring: the first bowl of fresh salad.


This one has lettuce and radishes from our hot bed, with a few daylily greens chopped up, some violets and violet leaves, dandelion leaves, and shepherd's purse. I have a green onion set aside for Larry to put in his because I cannot stand raw onion in anything.


To go with it, homemade poppyseed dressing. The dressing is easy to make. I use my vintage mayonnaise maker to mix it up. Here's the basic recipe:

1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground dry mustard

Put these 4 ingredients in your blender or mayo maker and mix well.

Add 1 cup vegetable oil in a slow steady stream so it emulsifies completely.

Stir in 1 tbsp poppy seeds.



Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! Salad already! We're still looking at a chance of flurries this week. Why do I live here?? That dressing sounds good. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. We try to get a jump on Spring, Jenn, and sometimes it works :) But look on the bright side--you won't have to start cutting grass as soon as we do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to build a cold frame. You are eating fresh already and I'm just ready to put the radish and lettuce seed in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are ahead of us with your redbuds. I love it when they bloom. So pretty. My daffodils are putting on quite a show--and so is the forsythia. Spring has finally chased old man winter away...I hope.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...