Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2019

Who Lived There Before I Did? More Fairlington Memories

My last post about Fairlington prompted another memory about my year there.

I asked the property manager we paid rent to about the people who had lived in our apartment before we did, and I had a reason for my question.

"It was an elderly couple," the manager said. "They lived there from the time the apartments were built." So, my guess is that the husband was a defense worker; maybe his wife was too as many women worked in the war effort during WWII.

"She died before him, I believe," the man went on, "and I don't think they had any children. I remember him sitting in a rocker in front of the living room windows, looking out at the street. That's about all I can remember, except that they were nice people."

And that was why I had asked. Sometimes, out of the corner of my eye, I would see, or thought I saw, an elderly man in a rocker, or standing by the window. There would be nothing there, of course, when I turned to look. I sometimes felt like there was someone watching me, but not in an unfriendly way. It was comforting in a way, to know I wasn't all alone. Weird, I know, but being alone most of the day when I was used to a houseful of people and children (remember, I came from a family of 13) was nice, true, but also odd. And so quiet when my little baby wasn't awake.

Another funny memory: when we moved in, the neighbors were puzzled. We looked so young! They finally decided we were older brother and his little sister. No one asked, and no one realized I was pregnant until I had my baby! He came 6 weeks early, so I didn't show much. When we came home with him, they were so surprised, and told me they thought I was about 14 years old. Ah me. I did look very young for my age.

I remember the young couple downstairs, too. Rich and ? Apple. They had a baby a bit after we did, and they named her Cristy Cubica. Because, they said, they wanted her name to be different. It certainly was.

And one other memory from there: we were awakened one night by a woman screaming. We weren't sure where the screams were coming from, but remembered the rapes that had happened a few months before. As we started to call the police, a squad car pulled up. Neighbors streamed out of buildings to see what was going on. What was it? Well, a couple in one of the townhouse units had gotten into a little, um, playful love-making, shall we say.

I had a difficult time looking them in the eye for weeks.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. Aw, fun memories! Funny how one thing will jar them loose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting the things that can spark a memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the biggest kick out of your comment about not being able to look them in the eye for weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 50 years have passed since those days, and yet I can see the place so clearly! I guess as we get older, we remember farther back but not so well what happened yesterday?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...