Pages

Friday, September 6, 2019

London Day

I'll say right up front that London has never been on my list of places I wanted to see. I don't know why, but I've just not been interested. After spending a day touring the city, my opinion is the same. Still, I'm glad I saw it.

(Caveat: as I replied to Michelle below, I should have added the following. I know many people love visiting London and have a wonderful time there, so: " It was Bank Holidays, so there were thousands of tourists, literally. Another time, more time, a different tour company, and cooler weather (it was in the 80's the day we were there) and my opinion would probably be very different. Add in that I was very tired from the overnight trip and the arduous journey from airport to hotel, add in my painful knee, and the recipe for enjoyment is not a good one."

There are lots of beautiful buildings, for sure. Tons of history, stories everywhere.

We chose the Golden Hop-On-Hop-Off tours as the best way to see a lot in a little time. I think, in retrospect, that another tour company might have been a better choice. This company used mostly taped narrative, not live presenters on their buses. The one man we did have really told very little about what we were seeing. That was disappointing. In Dublin the presenters on the buses were great, real storytellers.

Still, we saw some of the things we wanted to see:

The Tower Bridge: we learned later that this was built using stone from Bodmin Moor in Cornwall, where we would be later on. We saw it first from a distance, but later actually walked across it. I was thinking of the days of horses and carriages, of people being carried across to the Tower of London for imprisonment. A far different scene from today.


 It was a very busy day when we were there, lots of traffic and tourists.

The Tower of London, where so many met their fate:







This aerial photo, from the Historic Royal Palaces website, shows the full complex. Being rescued, or escaping from this fortress would have been miraculous, but a few managed it. We did not take the tour, which really would have required a day or two by itself, but it would be well worth doing, should I ever get back to London.

Aerial view of the Tower of London from the north west with Tower Bridge in the distance.

Big Ben: Was a disappointment, as the legendary clock tower is shrouded in scaffolding as restoration work is being done. According to a Londoner we met on the street, the clock has been like this for 2-3 years, and will likely remain so for a few more years.


 #10 Downing Street was heavily protected and gated. No chance of getting in there!


There were plenty of protesters on the streets nearby, however.


We were lucky enough to catch the horse guards on duty. Judy was thrilled to see horses, as she's a horse owner herself.


I thought these guys were kinda cute, especially the way they had to look so stern and serious.


More protesters, these a Free Nepal demonstration.


An alternative way to get around town. We didn't try it but it looked tempting.


Armed guards everywhere on Downing Street.


The London Eye. Somehow I'd never heard of this but what a fun way to see the city! It takes about 30 minutes or so to go all the way around in the glassed-in cages on the wheel. But stand in line for 3 hours to get on board? No thanks.



Scotland Yard! We also passed Baker Street, and that was one place I wanted to go but didn't make it this trip.


Buildings, buildings, buildings. The modern architecture mixed with the old was fascinating. This pointed one looks unfinished but it's actually complete.


Colored glass "fins" surrounded this round hotel.



I liked this odd-looking structure with the bulge in its side. I supposed there's no earthquake worries here, as almost all the new high-rises were all glass.



This one is simply the reinforced facade of an old building. It's been completely demolished behind, and in the process of being rebuilt, keeping the old face.






Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

10 comments:

  1. We were in London this spring and had a great time. A bit of the off season and no lines to be found anywhere. Walked right onto the eye. We also had great tour guides on a couple of the sightseeing bus tours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I should have added this caveat: It was Bank Holidays, so there were thousands of tourists, literally. Another time, more time, a different tour company, and cooler weather (it was in the 80's the day we were there) and my opinion would probably be very different. Add in that I was very tired from the overnight trip and the arduous journey from airport to hotel, add in my painful knee, and the recipe for enjoyment is not a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to believe we did that tour with no sleep the night before!! We did see some beautiful old buildings and lots of people. Still, London isn't a place I ever thought I'd see. Kinda like Washington DC or New York city---lots to do and see, but too busy for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you come again I'd recommend the riverboat tours as a nice way to cram in quite a lot of sightseeing into a short time as pleasantly as possible; last time I looked they were cheaper than the bus tours too. However you'll have noted that my little ol' blog never ventures to London although I live only an hour away - there must be a reason for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, you're right! Considering the lack of sleep on the flight over, I think we did right well. Being with you two made it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I never noticed that, John, but you're right, your blog doesn't venture into that city at all. I'm a country person, and more interested in the countryside and country life, so I love the things you write about. London is not for me, but I know many people enjoy it and go back again and again. Reckon it's my peasant blood coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Sue for sharing London on a hot hot visit, through your eyes.
    Hugs.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no desire to go to London, or NYC as I really dislike being in crowds. Many friends have often been to both and love it. Just not my thing.
    Appreciate you sharing though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's hard to enjoy a day of touristing when joint pain is involved, as I know very well. In your place I might have done a boat tour, and/or gone to one place - maybe a botanical garden or a park with shade - and stayed there :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...