Pages

Saturday, December 21, 2019

Winter Solstice

The light returns!

I quit dreading November and December when I learned about winter solstice with its history, folklore, and stories. Instead I looked forward with anticipation to days getting longer, minute by minute. I began to appreciate those darker days for the opportunity to snuggle into the evenings with books and lamps and a fire.

So today is Solstice, and each day the light will linger a little longer from now until my birthday in June. I thought I'd share some photos I took at Stonehenge this past August. These were not taken at the stones themselves, but inside the incredible multimedia room in the museum. If I stood in one spot and turned slowly, I felt as if I was in the midst of the stones. People came and went, but occasionally I was alone in the room, and it was magical.





A poem I wrote several years ago seems fitting today:

Solstice

Smoke curls and swirls heavenward
through reaching branches,
naked white against a dying day.
Holly and ivy twine
through wisps of flame and stars.
An owl drifts tree to tree;
Coyote sings,
a song ancient as the mistletoe.
Spirits stir and listen.

This night, the mighty oak seizes the crown;

roots awaken.

The last line refers to the old story of the battle between the oak and the holly as to which would rule; holly wins the battle in June, oak wins in December.

For a real treat, listen to or read this interview with Susan Cooper, author of the best solstice poem I have ever read and which is coming out now as a picture book. Fascinating. I want this book, which I think adults will enjoy as much as children. Perhaps even more so.



Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

3 comments:

  1. -clapping hands- Someone else, who is posting about Solstice and Yule!!!!! I can feel very lonely, when I do such posting. -smile-
    So thank you!!!

    Happy Eve of Yule...
    Happy Eve of Winter Solstice...
    🌲🌞🌲

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every year :) About 10 years or so ago--maybe longer, come to think of it--I began researching and learning about Christmas traditions, folklore and superstitions. Part of what drew me was my English mother's traditions at the holidays. I loved them and was curious as to why she did certain things. That led me deeper and deeper into lore of all kinds about the holidays, and I began presenting a program about Christmas carols and their history. I still do this one every year, changing up my material every year because there is so much to share! This year I began doing a new presentation on Celtic Christmas with another storyteller--some of the same material is covered, but there's a lot more variety and depth. We even bring traditional foods like fruitcake (my homemade, brandy-soaked!), wassail, and Judi brings two traditional Welsh sweets. Great fun!

    Now, we are going outside to light our Solstice fire, and burn last year's mistletoe which we have saved for this event.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...