Pages

Friday, January 3, 2020

The Kingdom of Home


I bought this beautiful book from one of my pickers last summer. The cover captivated me, and I know I leafed through it quickly before putting on one of my bookshelves. There was no time then to actually read it or even look at it closely, but this morning I pulled it from the shelf and sat down with it.

Oh. My.

What a beauty this book is! My copy was published in 1882 but the condition is incredible. The pages are of heavy, low-sheen paper, and are filled with poems about home, and the most beautiful Victorian illustrations.




There are 249 pages in all, and included are poems by some poets we all might recognize: Elizabeth Barrett Brown, Robert Burns, William Wordsworth, Sir Walter Scott, John Greenleaf Whittier, Samuel Coleridge, Robert Herrick, Alfred Lord Tennyson, and many others.



There are poets whose names are not familiar to me, too: Helen Hunt Jackson, Samuel Sumner, May Riley Smith, etc. While most of the poems are rhyming and written in standard forms, there are some more experimental pieces too. The creators of the engravings in the book are identified for the most part, although some seem to be anonymous pieces.



It is hard to believe this lovely book survived in such good condition; the gold on the cover shines like new, and the binding is surprisingly tight.

I spent a happy hour or two just browsing, reading pieces here and there and marveling at the engravings. A pleasurable way to spend a rainy, foggy morning.


There is only one copy available on Amazon, and although the condition doesn't sound quite as good as mine, still for $15 I think it is a fine buy for anyone looking for something to remind them of the pleasures of home. And those illustrations are worth every penny.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

8 comments:

  1. What a treasure, but was it loved and cared for, or neglected and forgotten on the bookshelf. I've recently read a book about S T Coleridge and it appears that he spent as little time at home as he possibly could, leaving all that responsibility to his poor overworked wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe this one was well read at one point, John, then probably shelved until an estate was cleared out. As for Coleridge, I had heard the same thing about him. If I remember correctly, he was rather egotistical too. Or maybe I'm confusing him with someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely find!

    ⛄ 📕 ⛄

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could show you, the way your page shows up to me, right now.

    Right below this lovely post, is a grossssssssssss illustration of a Prostate, with a urologist's tips.

    It is ugly enough, to make me say this.

    Please, consider not having adds on your blog. It doesn't seem that one makes that much money, with them.

    And it does not seem it is worth whatever the money, to gross out your Dear Readers.

    I can't wait to post this, to get away from this awful addddd.

    Hope you aren't mad at this but... Oh mercy! I had to tell you!

    ⛄ 📕 ⛄

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a treasure! I love books like this though I don't think I have one quite this old. I have a weakness for children's books, especially from the 1940s & 50s. I added a new one to my collection this past week. A Little Golden book called 'Seven Little Postmen' by Margaret Wise Brown (an author I adore & collect as well) & Edith Thacher Hurd (someone I know nothing about). It was printed in 1952.

    My toddler grandson loves my vintage books as well. We spend quite a bit of time reading them together so I look forward to sharing this one with him too. It's the story of a little boy sending a letter, with a secret message in it, to his grandmother. It follows the letter's journey as it passes through 7 postman before it's delivered & the secret is revealed. Of course the journey is very different than a letter's journey would be today.

    Your book looks like one I would enjoy reading very much too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, old children's books! I love them too, Jenny. Well, I just love old books period. The one you describe sounds so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love old books!! And I just bought the one on Amazon. Thanks for the interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judy, I think you'll like it as much as I do. The illustrations are worth it alone!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...