Pages

Monday, January 6, 2020

The Sad Christmas: Remembering When

The decorations are all down. I miss them already.

It took the better part of today to get the job done--not only taking down, wrapping, packing away, but also sorting out what I do not want to keep for another year.

Larry takes down all the outdoor stuff. He puts it up, and takes it down, which I totally appreciate. I dearly love outside lights at Christmas, and these days, so does he. I joke about his redneck Christmas tree, and that it's beginning to look like Chevy Chase lives here, but I love it.

One year Larry just refused to put up lights, and told me to do it myself if I wanted it done. It was two weeks before Christmas, and passed time, in my mind, for the lights to be up. We had the biggest fight that day. I put thelights up by myself all right, and got the tree up and decorated, but that was all I did. I was so angry I didn't speak to Larry for days.

Then my mother went into a coma after what should have been a simple surgical procedure. I went to Virginia to stand vigil at her bedside for a few weeks, until, like a miracle, she came out of the coma just before Christmas. During that time I didn't call to talk to my husband, didn't help him figure out Christmas gifts or Christmas day dinner, just did nothing. If I called home, I talked to my youngest son, who was only ten or eleven years old and I know felt abandoned by me. One of my sons went to our home on Christmas, and called me to try to figure out what he could make for dinner. I didn't care; between the grief and stress of my mother's illness and my anger, I felt nothing at all for anything or anyone else.

My heart was grieving--for my mother, for the season I loved so well, for the man I didn't understand. I don't know when I have ever been so angry, a deep, abiding anger that I allowed to grow and burn. But on New Year's Day, when it was clear my mother was out of danger, I called home. Neither of us mentioned the fight, the angry words, the sad Christmas. I came home soon after, and we somehow managed to make things right again.

Since that year, Christmas has become a joint effort. Larry realized that his sour attitude about the season hurt not only himself but his family. And I learned that such hard anger is not healthy or productive.

I also began studying Christmas. I wanted to know why it was so special to me, beyond the religious significance. It was something deep in me that resonated with the lights, the decorations, the traditions that I held so dear--and that were completely foreign to my husband. As I researched, I came to understand that many of my mother's traditions, brought with her from England where she was born, had deep roots in history and folklore. And for some reason, those traditions were part of my psyche, part of me.

Before I studied the folklore of this time of year, I would get depressed  in November and hated winter. Now that I understand that the days get longer, minute by minute, I am excited about the season, and understand its blessing--giving us rest, quiet time to renew our spirit. I understand why I always wanted a fire on Solstice, why I felt compelled to find mistletoe and string up lights and cut greenery. It's been a journey of revelation and self-discovery. While the birth of the Christ Child will always hold magic and mystery for me, the older traditions, dating back to the mists of history, ground me in who I am.


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

3 comments:

  1. When I was a young woman I thought I'd have everything figured out by the time I was 50...why I ever thought that who knows! Sometimes it takes a trauma for us to realize just how precious & good the life we have is. (like Larry basically living without you for a season) I've seen this happen in our family as well.

    We've been going through the chaos of remodeling two bathrooms this winter (through the holidays! what were we thinking!)After a mildly heated 'conversation' I paused, seeing that my husband was getting angry with me & not understanding why.... Then I told him that he knows I put drama in my words...I show my emotions & just because my comments might be very expressive does not mean anger, frustration maybe. This calm, cool man I've been married to for 32 yrs was getting angry with me because he thought I was getting angry with him. Remodeling puts quite a bit of drama in my conversations!

    Anyway, he reminded me with a chuckle....so there are still some things about you I haven't figured out yet?

    It would have been so helpful to be able to step back & look at life that way when we were young!

    And I do so agree with you about traditions. The more I learn, the more I love things in every season. I'm so glad I live in a world that has season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate this story. Christmas has always been a sad time for me as an adult. It has always meant travel for the holidays somewhere else and not my own home. A bit better these days with my own family but as older family members die, we have new challenges. Looking inward and discovering why my extended family had distinct traditions has also helped me feel more grounded with the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle and Jenny, often we only write about the good things, and the good memories on our blogs because after all, who wants to read bad stuff? But the not-so-great experiences are often where we learn the most. Thank you both for your comments.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...