Pages

Saturday, February 29, 2020

Snowy Saturday

23 and clear at dawn, but a little snowfall overnight turned everything white again. A beautiful morning! The woodpeckers must be courting as there is much noise from them in the mornings--or maybe they're just establishing territory? Here's one of our loud visitors.




Elinor Wylie's wintry poem speaks well of how we humans also line our nests in winter:

Winter Sleep  by Elinor Wylie

Just as the spiniest chestnut-burr
Is lined within with the finest fur,
So the stoney-walled, snow-roofed house
Of every squirrel and mole and mouse
Is lined with thistledown, sea-gull’s feather,
Velvet mullein-leaf, heaped together
With balsam and juniper, dry and curled,
Sweeter than anything else in the world.

This morning, a slight tinge of pink in the east...


And sun creeping across the hills in the west.


In the house, the view from the bedroom window is comfy--nice and warm inside, whiteness outside.


I found this little oil painting a few months ago. It's perfect for this time of year. It's signed J. Heuk or Helk, but I cannot find anything about this artist online. Maybe one of you knows who he/she is?


Today is more tax work--I cannot make myself stick with it more than an hour at a time--then pricing things for our booths, and maybe I will finally finish the little table I started the other week. I thought I would finish it yesterday but found some loose veneer that needed to be glued back in place. So now I think it's ready.

I am looking for a good biography/autobiography to read, preferably a diary. Any suggestions?I find that I really enjoy reading the real-life stories in journals and diaries. Maybe it's the storyteller in me, or is it a fairly common interest?


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

2 comments:

  1. Catching up on blog reading today, and sorry to hear Larry has had a bad cold - I hope he is feeling much better now. I had a cold in October that lasted for 3 weeks, the worst I'd had in many years, and I swear it took me til January to feel like I was getting caught up on things. But then, I generally move a lot slower than you and Larry do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you got your tax work done, a dull but necessary job. I haven't read a biography/autobiography for years so I can't give you any suggestions nor do I know anything about the painter or your lovely winter picture, sorry!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...