Pages

Saturday, March 28, 2020

Covid Journal, Day 14: Recipes

56 this morning, and again looking like rain. We had some showers yesterday and a short but satisfying thunderstorm, but could still work outside the better part of the day. My tomato, pepper and cabbage seeds arrived so I got them planted in peat pots. I've never raised these plants in the house--we always had some homemade or inexpensive greenhouse-- but I am going to give it a try this year.

People have dived back into cooking at home during these shut-down days, and many of them are really enjoying it. I can imagine the pleasure at discovering how simple it is to cook from scratch, make bread, and explore new recipes. I remember the first time I made bread. That feeling of satisfaction is like no other.

Which made me think I should share a few recipes I've been cooking up lately. I'm not an adventurous cook and don't have any exotic ingredients on hand ever, or even semi-exotic for
that matter. I'm a country cook, and tend toward the simple and hearty foods.

Yesterday I had blueberries and and a banana that really needed to be used before they spoiled. So I made blueberry muffins and banana-blueberry bread.


The bread was experimental, simply adding a cup of berries with the one banana I had on hand to the usual banana quick bread recipe. I left out the nuts, and it came out beautifully. I really like this better than banana bread--the berries give it a piquancy not found in the regular recipe.


For dinner the other night I thawed out a couple of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I wanted a simple recipe that I could make in the crockpot because I wanted to be outside, not in the kitchen. I found this recipe for Chicken Parmesan, and gave it a try. I didn't have quite enough cheese and no seasoned bread crumbs. I solved the bread crumbs problem but making crumbs from some whole wheat rolls that were getting stale and adding seasoned salt to them. As for the cheese, well, we just had to make do with what we had. I served it with vegetable spaghetti and it was really tasty. More cheese would have made it even better, but I consoled myself by thinking of the calories saved.

Another meal this week: ham, broccoli and cheese bake. I used fresh broccoli instead of frozen, but surprise! Had all the other ingredients on hand. It was delicious, and made enough for three meals.

Both of these recipes are real comfort food but a little heavy on the calories, so tonight we'll be having vegetable soup and a salad. Fortunately we've both been pretty active this week with both outside and inside work, so I hope we've burned off most of those calories!

I've heard that eggs seem to be in short supply in the stores this week, and I am grateful for our hens who give us a steady 8 eggs a day. But if you are short of eggs and milk and crave something chocolate-y, this recipe for Wacky Cake might be just the thing. I used to make it often when my sons were young. It's more of a snack cake than a regular cake.

What's been cooking at your house? Are you trying new recipes, or being creative with what you have in the house?

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

7 comments:

  1. I have bananas that will be turned into muffins this weekend, in fact. I've already made zucchini chocolate chip muffins (twice). With my twenty year old son at home, there's no chance they'll go uneaten. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is just me to cook for here, so normal amounts, using what I have. Wanted to make bread, but the stores are out of yeast and flour, as well as TP...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don is learning to make bread - we have a great no-knead bread and it makes the best sandwiches. All these years I've been kneading bread and find that it is not necessary - this bread is no different than the one I used to make - you mix all the ingredients - I used the Amish white bread recipe - then grease the bowl and let it rise until double - give the dough a couple easy kneads - like four or five - put in loaf pan - rise and then bake - super simple - even Don can make it - and he never has cooked - but he's learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn Have you tried https://www.simplysogood.com/crusty-bread/

      Delete
  4. Tomatoes do really well starting them off in the house. I used to put plant seeds in those little plastic containers that you buy plug plants in, just one in each segment, then popped them in the airing cupboard till the first plants started to show above the surface, then put them on a nice light windowsill. I used to get close to 100% germination and a packet of seeds used to last a few years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the Birthday Wishes!

    Here we always cook, and continue to do so. We never go out to eat in winter, during regular flu season. So this is no different. -smile-

    Each does what brings them calm, in a time of turmoil.

    Wonderful "Girls" you have!!!! 8 eggs a day!!!!! Son and family next door, just got 4 chicks. They have 2 hens left, from last 4. He is going to try to semi-introduce them... But the little ones will not be ready to go out, for a while.

    Gentle hugs
    🌸 🌸 🌸 🌸

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have to eat low carb because my husband has juvenile diabetes. So far I've been able to keep enough fresh foods on hand by doing grocery pick up & not getting out of my car.

    Eggs are a problem for us. He can eat 3 to 5 a day. But I mentioned after the first week I was having a hard time finding them & 6 different friends who have eggs offered some to me. So I know I can buy some from them.

    We're still eating salads at least half the time, or soup...we eat a lot of soup. I'm growing salad greens until it's too hot which won't be much longer in my area. We also eat a lot of simple meat meals (I cook one or two servings) with a side of green beans, roasted veggies or pickles, cheese & olives. Not really country meals but nothing fancy either.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...